Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimax FS41 Elite trouble - need assist!

Minimax FS41 Elite trouble - need assist!

Today I was using my Minimax FS41 Elite in planer mode and did not set the depth correctly, when I fed the wood in it took a very deep cut, ran for about a foot, then bogged down and stopped. I have not been able to turn it back on. The circuit breaker is not tripped, and the power switch is set to on, but the round white power indicator is not lit. I let is set for 1.5 hours thinking it might be a thermal overload shut off, but it still won't turn on. Hoping it is just a blown fuse rather than a burnt out motor. Any suggestions welcome. Hope to hear from Erik Loza, my original Minimax sales rep (yes, quite a while ago ). Thanks!

Len

I have a minimax combo, not an fs41, so your machine might be completely different. There is an emergency stop button on it. Was that emergency stop button pushed or turned the machine off? When my emergency stop is tripped, the on/off switch just turns, very much unlike it’s normal feel.

Thanks Ralph, it isn't the emergency stop button. I opened the electrical control panel and there is a pointer knob that has three settings, on, tripped and off. It is pointing to tripped. When I turn it to on, it just springs back to tripped. Will wait for instructions, not going to experiment here.

Len, go to the off position, then the on position……Regards, Rod

Thanks Rod. I tried that. It allowed me to set the pointer knob to "on", but after plugging in the cord and turning the main on/off switch to on, still no power to the machine. The power indicator is still unlit.

Is one of the emergency stop buttons still turned off?
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Reset the breaker in your distribution panel, it’s possible it is tripped also…Rod

Blog Entries
    I would check to see if it turns over manually (with the electrical locked out) maybe something is jammed or broken.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Len, I owned that same machine for long time, I have never tripped the thermal limiter. Kind of curious how one resets it. My machine has a depth of cut limiter (steel flat bar in front of the kickback pawls) for the planer, maybe the newer models don’t have such a feature?

Almost hate to suggest this, but did you call Minimax/SCM?

Len, did you check to make sure all emergency stop switches were reset? My machine has on one the front panel and one of the back of the machine also..

Hi Len. As others said, I would manually cycle the wall breaker even though it doesn’t appear tripped. This exact thing happened to one of our A/C units last weekend. Start with the obvious. I don’t think think there are any other internal fuses aside from that main contactor in your machine. I suppose it is possible you fried the switch but seems very unlikely. Likewise sure the motor is unaffected. Sorry, I am out of the industry now but SCM’s help line should be on their website. Best of luck with it.

Erik

There Are Indeed Fuses

Quote Originally Posted by Len Rosenberg View Post
    Today I was using my Minimax FS41 Elite in planer mode and did not set the depth correctly, when I fed the wood in it took a very deep cut, ran for about a foot, then bogged down and stopped. I have not been able to turn it back on. The circuit breaker is not tripped, and the power switch is set to on, but the round white power indicator is not lit. I let is set for 1.5 hours thinking it might be a thermal overload shut off, but it still won't turn on. Hoping it is just a blown fuse rather than a burnt out motor. Any suggestions welcome. Hope to hear from Erik Loza, my original Minimax sales rep (yes, quite a while ago ). Thanks!

Len
    Not sure if you have the FS41E or the FS41ES: I have the FS41E and there are indeed fuses. They reside behind the main power panel on the side of the unit (behind the main power rotary switch). In the third picture, you can see three tabs that swing out, each housing a fuse. Even if you have the FS41ES, I suspect your protection circuitry may be similar/identical.That black dial just below the fuse housing is the motor circuit breaker. You may want to verify that the circuit breaker is not tripped and that the fuses are all good. The black dial shown in the 3rd picture is in the non-tripped position. I believe (I am guessing here) that if/when it does trip, the position of that dial will be different.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Phil Gaudio; 06-20-2022 at 3:20 PM.

Thanks Rick, Brian, Robert, Erik and Phil. Tried all your suggestions, none worked. Although not sure how to tell if one of the fuses is blown, would it be discolored? All three look new. Phil, thanks very much for the photos, I would not have known where to find the fuses. I have a service call in to SCM. Will report back.
    Len

Phil, thanks for the pictures. I never knew the FS41E had fuses, my machine is 2004 vintage so I am going to have to open the main power panel and see what it looks like inside, as externally my main power panel looks quite different.

Makes me wonder if I have any on my CU300. I will keep that in mind if the need arises.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.