Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: about mahogany

about mahogany

Afternoon!

im thinking about attempting a federal sideboard. lately ive been using sapele.
    but i think the ribbon stripes inherent to the wood will be a problem.
    I understand or at least think you cannot get honduras mahogany anymore.
    my question is what has everyone been using for their mahogany projects?

Regards
    Eric

Blog Entries
    Genuine Mahogany is still available. I can buy it in Kansas City and St. Louis Missouri. Peruvian Mahogany is restricted by CITES

Genuine Mahogany | South Florida Lumber
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 06-19-2022 at 6:58 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Try Greener Lumber https://greenerlumber.3dcartstores.com in Mexico, Missouri. Specializing in sinker mahogany and some other species. I've gotten some outstanding wide mahogany boards from them in the past.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Try Greener Lumber https://greenerlumber.3dcartstores.com in Mexico, Missouri. Specializing in sinker mahogany and some other species. I've gotten some outstanding wide mahogany boards from them in the past.
    I have played a sinker Mandolin. It was very good looking. It was not the best sounding Mahogany mandolin I have heard. The prices eliminate me from that market. I think I paid under $20.00 BF at Metro Hardwoods in April.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 06-20-2022 at 8:47 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Eric, I build period furniture, so needless to say use plenty of Mahogany. Yes, you can still purchase Mahogany, it’s not the easiest of species to find and the price per Bd/Ft is pretty frightening.

The supplier that I have been buying from was suppling lumber that was milled 50 years ago from Peru, the Mahogany was beautiful. As the old stock has dwindled down, the quality of newer post CITES material has gone down.

Consider cherry. Age appropriate and without some of the ethical challenges of HM.

Mahogany is easily available from sustainable sources today.

You just need to be willing go pay for it.

Honduran Mahogany

Eric,

My good friend Pete Kekel still has Honduran Mahogony. If interested you can look up his web site: Big Monk Lumber or just give him a call at 859-653-3520 and see what he has in stock. He is in Kentucky but hauls wood to many of the woodturning symposiums such as the upcoming AAW if there is one near your area. He said what he as left is 8/4, long planks. I got some from him a and the wood is excellent, straight, clear. I think the pieces I got from him were 10” wide or so.

JKJ

If you were in PA, id happily have you come by. I bought out an old timer's shop 3-4 years ago and ended up with a fair amount of 8/4, 6/4, and 4/4 mahogany from the 1970s. Sadly, the guy was a pattern maker, which means he was chewing up prime honduran mahogany to make casting patterns : O

Hearne carries genuine mahogany.

https://www.hearnehardwoods.com/price-list/
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

genuine is tough to get here in Az, there is some available, but gas is much cheaper, lol

i do have a small stash of what was called African mahogany, nice looking stuff. its destined to become a G&G blanket chest, along with one in cherry and walnut, have three granddaughters needing a stash chest.
    rj in az

Blog Entries
    Irion Lumber also carries genuine mahogany.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike King View Post
    Irion Lumber also carries genuine mahogany.
    That was the first place I looked before posting the link to Hearne about and the Irion site didn't have it listed, unless I missed it somewhere.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Eric make sure you buy Genuine mahogany avoid substitutes. African,sapele etc do not have all the attributes of Genuine mahogany.
    Heres a book if your not sure.
    And here is a real world example Genuine mahogany.
    A fish take stand.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj

I wish I could work with it, but it gives me terrible Asthma symptoms. I used it in one house I built, and handrails in our house in 1980, but never again. It was a pleasure while it lasted though. I can cut veneer with a knife, but can't sand it, or make sawdust.

Andrew, thanks for the tip on the book, but sorry guys, looks like I just bought the last copy on ebay.