Thread: Help with rockwell/beaver Cat #700 drill press

Question Help with rockwell/beaver Cat #700 drill press

hi:
    Been awhile since I posted here - however this morning I fired up my Rockwell Beaver Model 700 ("cat #700" on the plaque) drill press and pow-zap-stink it stopped. I think there's a blown fuse. but have no manual and no clue even where the fuse is. There's a nickel sized plate at the base of the motor which could cover a fuse but I don't see how to take it off.

Still, there's The Creek, right? I'd bet real money several people here know exactly how to find the fuse and how to replace it. Help? please. my email is rudy@winface.com if you want to send pics/info outside of this forum.

Blog Entries
    From the pictures I could find that looks like a nice little unit. The motor in the pics look like universal motors as opposed to an induction motor with starter capacitors and so forth. Is this the case? If so the little round plate may be the brushes. It takes a lot of use to wear down a set of brushes but I do have tools in which I have replaced them. Someone on Canadian Woodworking & Home Improvement forum restored one very nicely. If he doesn't have a manual he might be able to answer questions as he did a full tear down. Sent an SMC email with the link.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks Glenn - but nothing has arrived in my email from you.

However, I did find the article on Cdn woodworking and tried to locate the author. It seems that he/she (?) uses the name 'rswoodwork" and is from Edmonton - except that the last posting is dated in 2016 and I was required to sign up on the forum to try messaging and am now waiting for admin approval of the sign-up.

It is a very nice tool - since I do not have permission to post pics here (I'm poor) I put a photo on my website at winface.com/oldwin/drillpress1.jpg and winface.com/oldwin/drillpress2.jpg
    Last edited by rudy de haas; 06-19-2022 at 3:55 PM. Reason: fixed error, added info.

My first attepmt would be power on then spin the chuck by hand and see if the motor makes any noise. I am thinking the on/off switch is bad. Are you sure the outlet has power.
    Bill D

Is it this variable speed model?
    http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind....aspx?id=35824

Yes it has power.

Yes it is a three speed model

ON/off switch seems ok. Motor can be spun, silent.

Took plate off (bottom of motor) wiring looks clean and good. Nothing that looks like a fuse.

Maybe brushes/contacts? No idea..

Blog Entries
    The DP that Bill links to is very different than the one I was speaking to. Can you post a pic?
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by rudy de haas View Post
    Thanks Glenn - but nothing has arrived in my email from you.

However, I did find the article on Cdn woodworking and tried to locate the author. It seems that he/she (?) uses the name 'rswoodwork" and is from Edmonton - except that the last posting is dated in 2016 and I was required to sign up on the forum to try messaging and am now waiting for admin approval of the sign-up.

It is a very nice tool - since I do not have permission to post pics here (I'm poor) I put a photo on my website at winface.com/oldwin/drillpress1.jpg and winface.com/oldwin/drillpress2.jpg
    There are several members on CWW who are considered experts on Beaver tools. Stevem is one of them. Once you are signed in post your question there. Note however, that many tools from that era were shipped without motors and the store or buyer added their own motor so your problem may have nothing to do with the fact it's a Rockwell Beaver drill press.

I have never seen a 120 volt machine tool with a fuse.
    Bill D

Rereading the Op, pow zap stink sounds like a blown capacitor. They are often in a small casing bolted to the side of the motor or inside the motor end cap. Pictures would help.

No pictures make it hard to know much at all. $6.00 is too rich for the OP. Any one able to post some pictures he can choose from? I posted a link to the same model # but someone said it was wrong. I have no idea how many designs they called the same model #.
    Bill D.

Maybe my link was mislabeled?

Photos on my website: "I put a photo on my website at winface.com/oldwin/drillpress1.jpg and winface.com/oldwin/drillpress2.jpg"

You were right. I got a response on CWW from Stevem mentioning that a possibility that the "centrifugal switch is stuck closed"

umm,... had to google that. Spun the rotor by hand a bit and then hit the power button --> ta da! instant drill on!!

Thanks a lot!