Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do some stores have entrance and exit doors?

Home depot drags us past all the displays by making sure we have to walk past them. Grocery store does less of this but they put the milk and eggs at the farthest corner so you have to walk past everything anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    We can always rely on you for the bsc response, more likely it's the same reason most big retailers do it. Security, having everyone exit thru the same door which requires you to go thru the checkout cuts down on theft.
    I got it! “ Best Sawmill Creek”. response.” But your guess about the doors was…wrong. Checked with the managers of 4 stores….
    “4 stores and 7 hours ago”, it’s to save on heating and cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Home depot drags us past all the displays by making sure we have to walk past them. Grocery store does less of this but they put the milk and eggs at the farthest corner so you have to walk past everything anyway.
    If I have two things to buy at Home Depot, I can pretty much assume they will be at opposite corners of the store...and it's the 2nd-largest HD in the country.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

It used to be that a lot of thought went into placing items that people run in and out to get in the back of the store. The idea was to hope other items got your attention. I think this was abandoned as it didn't make much sense to have unpopular stuff in the prime people zones. As to the entry exit doors it is the same reason, traffic flow but they realize that contractors don't give a rats butt about seeing product so they give them a separate in and out door but anyone can use it.

Saturday I got asked to pick up two things from a particular, and large, grocery store:
    Cole Slaw from the deli, and vanilla ice cream...
    Deli is on the south wall, ice cream freezers are on the north wall, as far from each other as possible...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Saturday I got asked to pick up two things from a particular, and large, grocery store:
    Cole Slaw from the deli, and vanilla ice cream...
    Deli is on the south wall, ice cream freezers are on the north wall, as far from each other as possible...
    Not surprising, don't know about you but I don't like coleslaw on my ice cream.

Always enter the local HD through the checkout exit, entry is on other end of the building, the door sensor allows the door to open from either side unlike the Lowe's across the street

Those of you complaining about HD or Lowes have obviously never been to an IKEA, they are the masters at traffic control. Last time I was there I met someone who had been there for a month and still couldn't find their way out but they had three carts full of stuff and were well fed (they followed their nose to the restaurant).

Those of you complaining about HD or Lowes have obviously never been to an IKEA, they are the masters at traffic control. Last time I was there I met someone who had been there for a month and still couldn't find their way out but they had three carts full of stuff and were well fed (they followed their nose to the restaurant).
    Yeah, after a dozen or so trips to mine when I was doing the kitchen, I now know all the (unmarked) shortcuts.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I assumed it was to help prevent theft. The entrance at Lowes or HD usually leads to the return desk. That makes it less likely someone would try to pick up a product and take it to the return desk for credit. While you can enter any door you would stand out walking out the entrance with new product in your hand. Since it really costs nothing it's a cheap way to help prevent theft.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I assumed it was to help prevent theft. The entrance at Lowes or HD usually leads to the return desk. That makes it less likely someone would try to pick up a product and take it to the return desk for credit. While you can enter any door you would stand out walking out the entrance with new product in your hand. Since it really costs nothing it's a cheap way to help prevent theft.
    The local Lowes used to have a door directly from the entrance "lobby" to the returns department and no access from inside the store. They quit using it after a while and covered the glass with red vinyl. Does it really slow shoplifters by making them go outside the building and back in to return something? If I was a thief I would probably take my stolen merchandise to another Lowes store to return anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    The local Lowes used to have a door directly from the entrance "lobby" to the returns department and no access from inside the store. They quit using it after a while and covered the glass with red vinyl. Does it really slow shoplifters by making them go outside the building and back in to return something? If I was a thief I would probably take my stolen merchandise to another Lowes store to return anyhow.
    Is the main problem shoplifters returning stolen items for refunds? Isn't some form of proof of purchase required to return something? It seems more likely things are stolen to be used or resold on Craigslist than returned to a store. A few years ago all the circular saw blades at my local Lowes were put behind the counter with only samples securely fastened to the display left out. I asked about it and a store clerk showed me a pile of security tags that had been removed and tossed under the shelves. He said it was mainly contractors who go thru a lot of blades who would remove the tags and walk out with the blades under their coats.

Is the main problem shoplifters returning stolen items for refunds? Isn't some form of proof of purchase required to return something? It seems more likely things are stolen to be used or resold on Craigslist than returned to a store. A few years ago all the circular saw blades at my local Lowes were put behind the counter with only samples securely fastened to the display left out. I asked about it and a store clerk showed me a pile of security tags that had been removed and tossed under the shelves. He said it was mainly contractors who go thru a lot of blades who would remove the tags and walk out with the blades under their coats.
    I believe Lowes still allows returns for store credit with no receipt. Thieves will then sell the store credit. Home Depot started making store credits tied to the person making the return and required an ID to use them. More recently, the Home Depots near me stopped taking any returns without a receipt.

He said it was mainly contractors who go thru a lot of blades who would remove the tags and walk out with the blades under their coats.
    The blades might end up with contractors , but they probably get abducted by “thrifty amateur medicine-men”.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-22-2022 at 8:20 PM. Reason: foxed quote tagging