Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JDS 3100ck piping

JDS 3100ck piping

For those who have experience with these, do I need to run spiral pipe?

I am planning to run horizontally from the cyclone inlet for 2' before going vertical for 8" into the attic where it will run 28' horizontally across the trusses to the the center of one upper bay. At that point it will tee with one side gated and dropping down into the center of the bay for my planer, sanders and jointer all of which are on mobile bases. The other side will be gated and extend overhead to the wall where I have a double sided 6" x 132" edge sander. The location for the vac will be changing from what's shown in the picture as I've decided to dedicate a 1.5hp cyclone to the table and miter saws that will be piped thru the 6" wall opening shown.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have no idea what you are talking about. Is that some kind of dust collector, air compressor or furnace?
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I have no idea what you are talking about. Is that some kind of dust collector, air compressor or furnace?
    Bill D
    The picture obviously shows a dust collector. It is a 3 hp short cone one. It does not matter if you use spiral pipe or not. If it were me, I would use 6" DWV pipe. You have pretty long runs which will cause some losses.

The short cone confused me. Know that I know what it is I can see that. I thought the inlet pipe was another motor. The extra inlet pipe above the filter confuses me still. Maybe some drive motor for dust cleaning paddle?
    Bill D

You do not "need" to use any particular type of pipe for your ductwork as long as what you choose is up to the task. Each of the common types has advantages and disadvantages. For the longest time, I used snap-lock 26 gage. With the new shop, I've chosen quick connect type ductwork. Some folks do spiral. And some do PVC/ABS "sewer" pipe.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    The picture obviously shows a dust collector. It is a 3 hp short cone one. It does not matter if you use spiral pipe or not. If it were me, I would use 6" DWV pipe. You have pretty long runs which will cause some losses.
    The owner at a local sheet metal manufacturing company has recommended spiral, but I don't know him and he could be motivated by profit to say that.

Hmm, I wouldn't have thought 38' total to be a long run for 8" pipe and the 6" duct to the edge sander will be no more than 6' long then reduced to 4" where the tee will go to its two ports.

When I had a small shop in the basement, I had a 1.5hp Delta connected directly to the unisaw but that was the only dust collection I've ever used and it was a 6' run of 6" reinforced hose. Bought this because I now have an 18" planer, 18" double drum sander, 8" jointer and 20" disc sander all of which are on mobile bases and will be moved to the drop in the center of the bay. Thinking now though that I may just go with the single drop and all 8" reduced at the drop to 6" and 4" as needed because the 6" x 132" edge sander is double sided and it would be far easier to move it than turn it around to use the other side. The 1.5hp remains dedicated to the table and miter saws and I have a 1hp Rikon dedicated to the cnc. I'm not planning dust collection for anything else in the shop.

If there is a blockage straight pipe would definitely collapse, but I can't see that being likely with 8" duct.

Until selling it last October, I had an air duct cleaning business for 20 years. My 56hp truck mounted vacuum was rated at 15,000cfm and both portables were 5000cfm. During their first ever class in duct cleaning at the tech college I went to for hvac, we collapsed all of the duct work in the hvac building with just 5000 cfm. Instructor ordered all vents covered and while it was obvious with all but one covered that collapse was likely, she disagreed and said do it anyway - oops!

Yes that is a drive motor for the automatic cleaning which is done every time the dust collector is shut off.

I just bought 3" sch. 40 PVC for the cnc's vacuum system at a local wholesaler and it was $50 for 10', I'm not sure my heart could take hearing what they want for 8"!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hampe View Post
    I just bought 3" sch. 40 PVC for the cnc's vacuum system at a local wholesaler and it was $50 for 10', I'm not sure my heart could take hearing what they want for 8"!
    Keep in mind that 3" isn't going to do much for your CNC...nor will the OEM hood perform well in that respect. Consider the Kent dust shoe which has a 4" port and a much longer "hula skirt".
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Keep in mind that 3" isn't going to do much for your CNC...nor will the OEM hood perform well in that respect. Consider the Kent dust shoe which has a 4" port and a much longer "hula skirt".
    Thanks but the 3" pvc is for the BlackBox Hurricane vacuum and I have a Kent dust shoe. Just got a quote on the spiral and its $50 for 10' of 26 gauge and $30 for 45 degree ells.

Thanks for the clarification that the 3" was for your vacuum table.

Ron, check with Blastgate Company for your duct work. The price you're quoted seems to be very high for the straight pipe

https://blastgateco.com/Spiral-Pipe-Connectors.php
    --

Tried them first and they were $31.95 for 5' of 8" spiral pipe plus they now have an added 10% surcharge fee on all metal products.
    Elbows and other fittings are more there too.

I've bought metal gates from them several years ago.
    Last edited by Ron Hampe; 06-20-2022 at 8:02 PM.

I think 8" is too big. If you are eventually going down to a 4" port, the velocity in the 8" will be too slow to keep dust moving.

You may be right as it came with a wye that had two 4" ports. Inlet though is 8" and the performance actually improved considerably when I converted my 1.5hp delta to a single 6" inlet. I need to finish running power to it yet, but once done I'll check various sizes with an anemometer to see what I get.

Also talked with the owner of one of the manufacturing plants today and he said that if I brought him a sketch, he'd go over with me.

Just a comment to consider.....Fan anemometers are not accurate to measure air flow in dust collector ducts.
    Last edited by Larry Frank; 06-21-2022 at 7:47 PM.