Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crosscut Sled – Cut Anomaly?

You have not bothered to show photos of the sled, which could be the problem.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Do you have similar problems with other cuts? Try crosscutting with a miter gage, do you get same result? Are your rip cuts with the fence ok?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandt Bolding View Post
    I measure both the tooth and plate.
    That is a nice set up and the price is good. Be careful measuring from the sides of the teeth, because most are have a relief grind on the sides which can lead to errors.

Switch you gauge to the other miter slot and see how much side to side play your sled has.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 06-20-2022 at 3:20 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

My crosscut sled was causing some minor burning on really wide boards like plywood but not on narrower boards. I had tested mine with the 5 cut method (with a narrower board) and it was dead square. My miter slot was also square to the blade and tested with a dial indicator. Eventually I attached my dial indicator to front middle and rear of the sled and checked while sliding the sled. I found that the Kreg aluminum miter slot runner I used was bowed on the rear end and that was causing the burning. With narrower boards the bow had already went past the end of the miter slot and so the cuts were square.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandt Bolding View Post
    Trying cut shaving off bit of end and also "buried" in wood no difference really.
    OK, well this is really bothering me. This implies that the saw blade is altering its plane of operation when the front portion comes out of the wood. With stabilizers that should not be happening. Now I'm looking at the blade plate, bearings, or belts. Bear with me. This is only my second guess ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The saw “blades” get warped from heat, pinched by “reaction” wood ,etc. For years we had an excellent saw guy who would check every blade
    on a a machined steel plate before sharpening. Used an egg timer to check time, if he straightened saw before it timed out…there was no
    charge.