Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Felder version of sawstop technology?

Lots of circumstances probably four or five. Doesnt change the fact that there are so many people that have never been taught what can go on if you do this or that. Tons of people have been pulled back into a blade because no one ever taught them not to go behind the blade. If I ever worked with people id want safety stuff as well, wouldnt want to be worried about employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    I'm wondering if part of this is the expiration of the SawStop patents. My understanding is that they were going to expire about this time, maybe last year, with a bit of staggering for various parts. Having a different approach wasn't sufficient to protect Bosch in court.
    AFAIK, the sensing setup for the Felder solution is completely different than SS. Bosch, was a lot more similar to SS. But I could be wrong about one or both of those.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Warren, after 49 years accident free, last August I amputated the ends of two fingers saving my daughter’s cat.

I agree 100% that training is extremely important, however unplanned occurrences do happen, with PCS I wouldn’t have lost finger ends, and it is possible that it could have detected the cat tail in the saw guard, preventing me from even reacting to the incident.

Regards, Rod

Warren, one of my ex-colleagues told me this story while I was still with Felder: He had been talking to a shop about a PCS machine. They apparently choked at the price point. Some time later, one of their guys had accident on a table saw in the shop. By the time that business owner got the numbers for the workman’s comp claim, the PCS machine would have been cheaper. Point being, features like this are designed to mitigate risk and liability. The level of risk/liability that a production woodworking business assumes with its employees is not the same risk a hobbyist assumes in their home shop.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Rod, That is terrible ! We like cats too….but never trust them. They have long tails and short attention spans.
    Hope you healed quickly and that your daughter is over all the trauma.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Rod, That is terrible ! We like cats too….but never trust them. They have long tails and short attention spans.
    Hope you healed quickly and that your daughter is over all the trauma.
    Thanks Mel, my daughter is a nurse, as I was on the bed in the hospital with the surgeon looking at the x rays and my hand, my phone rings.

Daughter “Dad, get the doctor to take some really good photographs of your fingers, I want to see them.”

Doctor when I hand her my phone and explain what I want “ Are you kidding me? Do you know what they look like?”

Once I explained about the nurse part she said that makes sense and took them.

I did get some revenge, I asked my daughter to clean the saw so my wife wouldn’t see it.

My daughter said I made a mess of the saw, took her an hour to clean it and she put the blade guard in the dishwasher along with the dishes.

Nurses…Sheesh

Really sorry to hear that the Felder price for their new flesh-saving technology was so high. People balk at the small increase in cost for SawStops, so that's a big minus.

I used to love asking nurses in the OR "Do you love cats?" Because I have a great recipe. The secret is in slow cooking and braising. The cat lovers never spoke about cats in front of me again. So your story, which I vividly remembered, Rod, just reinforced that. But I digress...
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Really sorry to hear that the Felder price for their new flesh-saving technology was so high. People balk at the small increase in cost for SawStops, so that's a big minus.

I used to love asking nurses in the OR "Do you love cats?" Because I have a great recipe. The secret is in slow cooking and braising. The cat lovers never spoke about cats in front of me again. So your story, which I vividly remembered, Rod, just reinforced that. But I digress...

Haha, very good Alan, as one of my friends says everytime he comes over “ so many cats, so few good recipes”

The fingers are doing well, almost as good as new……Regards, Rod.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 06-19-2022 at 10:54 AM.

That's really unfortunate Rod. I hope your fingers continue to heal and you are back in the cat-free shop.
    I vacillate about getting a SS but stories like this push me more towards getting one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gibney View Post
    That's really unfortunate Rod. I hope your fingers continue to heal and you are back in the cat-free shop.
    I vacillate about getting a SS but stories like this push me more towards getting one.
    Thanks Mark, I was back to using the saw either the next day, or day after.

The cat was at our house temporarily, he is now at my daughter’s home permanently.

My fingers are doing great, my brain has learned to correctly interpret the signals from my new fingertips.

What saved my fingers is the riving knife was very close to the blade, the cat jumped up on the fixed portion of the sliding table with the movable portion fully in the operator position.

When I grabbed the cat my fingers contacted the rear of the blade below the table so the saw literally shaved the fingertips off before I could pull back my hand, they’re about 3 to 6 mm shorter on two fingers…….Rod

Is it just me? I click on the Felder video, and it runs for 2-3 seconds and stops. I click on it again and it runs for another 2-3 seconds. Very frustrating. I’m running a 6 month old Mac M1 & Firefox browser, it should have plenty of HP. It doesn’t have any problems with other videos.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    AFAIK, the sensing setup for the Felder solution is completely different than SS. Bosch, was a lot more similar to SS. But I could be wrong about one or both of those.
    I was wondering about that Jim. That another possible answer, and looking through their product brochures doesn't seem to answer that question.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Is it just me? I click on the Felder video, and it runs for 2-3 seconds and stops. I click on it again and it runs for another 2-3 seconds. Very frustrating. I’m running a 6 month old Mac M1 & Firefox browser, it should have plenty of HP. It doesn’t have any problems with other videos.
    It sounds like lack of internet bandwidth, video plays fine for me…..Rod

That's what it seems like but I'm getting 208 MBPS down and 6 MBPS up on the speed tests.

Not important, I'm not going to buy one anyway.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney