Thread: Approach to making these curves on head/footboards

Approach to making these curves on head/footboards

I'd like to make head/food boards similar to the photos below for an upcoming queen size bed bed frame (wife says it NEEDS to have a curved element)

What's the best way to make the curves at the top of the bed posts? I know the radii vary on pics and some appear veneered but looking to understand the general concept.

Ideally, no bent lam, steam, or veneering. Will be using 8/4 white oak for the legs. Any vids/links to help visualize would be helpful! Thanks!

IMG_0568.jpg IMG_0571.jpg IMG_0569.JPG Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 6.11.29 PM.jpg

Blog Entries
    From photo #4, it appears that the corners are made from 3 pieces. There is a vertical and a horizontal. The third piece is cut from a wider piece of wood and then attached to the top rail and side rail. You could rough cut a piece on a band saw then use a template and edge trimming bit in a router to get the finished curve. It could also be trimmed after the corner is assembled, but there is more risk to that method, should the piece chip out badly. To prevent likely terout you will want to take light cuts and may need to climb cut certain areas.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I think Lee is right - in fact, I think all four of your examples are 3-piece construction. If you go with a smaller radius, as in Pic #3, it might be practical to make the radius a part of the leg (see my crude drawing). With a larger radius, there would be a lot of waste with this approach.

Either way, I agree with Lee's suggestions on process.

Bedposts.jpg

Blog Entries
    I have made similar looking curved things by laminating thin strips around a form. I use steam or boil the wood for tight bends. The first image is parts for a hybrid banjo. 2nd is a curved stairway handrail. It is more like the bed. If the curved part is trim on a strong sub structure segments or staves work OK. If the curved wood needs to be strong laminating is better.

IMG_0584.jpg Rail.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 06-18-2022 at 9:43 PM. Reason: image
    Best Regards, Maurice

The small curves can be made of 1 piece. The large ones should be laminated.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."