Thread: ​​​​​​​Advice needed - Delta 22-580C planer from 2003

​​​​​​​Advice needed - Delta 22-580C planer from 2003

I bought a Delta 22-580C planer in 2003 and never used it - it's still in the sealed box

Strange, yes. But at that time I used MDF exclusively. Zero solid wood.

After all that time just sitting, can anyone give me an idea of the things I should check / do / know about when I take it out of the box to start using it?

Thanks.

Howard
    Howard Rosenberg

Check the lube on the raise/lower mechanism, and it should go to work. Yours is a much newer, and fancier version of mine.

I dug mine out of a storage building it's been sitting in for 15 years, a couple of weeks ago. WD40 to get the raise/lower rods lubed, and it works like I did the last time I used it. Mine is an older, first version of that planer.

They have a terrible reputation for snipe, but holding up on the board going in, and coming out solves that. I didn't bother with the infeed and outfeed tables for long after I first bought it. They don't take care of snipe. With long boards, you have to hold up enough on the board to lift the edge of the planer.

One turn of the crank is all it wants to take off in one pass. The Planer Pals made for it work perfectly, and easily for knife changing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tom M King; 06-17-2022 at 8:08 AM.

I had a 22-580 for a while. I don't remember it being a sniper, the 540 would leave a good sized snipe on each end but as you said, as long as I held up on the end of the board starting and ending I don't recall snipe on the 580 to be an issue. I'd think bringing the planer out of storage lube and check the power cord for cracking or deterioration. I suppose dry bearings could be an issue but don't know of a way to check those except to run it.

I was probably remembering the model number incorrectly. Mine, in that picture, is much older than 2003, so I'm sure there is a whole list of later model numbers. Whatever model number mine is, it's still a little beast, and I'm sure it's done Way more work than one of these was ever intended for.

WD40 to get the raise/lower rods lubed
    WD40 isn’t the greatest lubricant for protecting metal from wear and corrosion. Good for loosening rusty parts and displacing moisture , but at less than 35% oil there are much better alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I was probably remembering the model number incorrectly. Mine, in that picture, is much older than 2003, so I'm sure there is a whole list of later model numbers. Whatever model number mine is, it's still a little beast, and I'm sure it's done Way more work than one of these was ever intended for.
    There were 3 primary Delta branded 'lunchbox' planers I think. 540, 560(565?) and 580. The 540 was a solid gray sniper but tough as nails. The 560 had a head lock and was black & gray. I don't know if the 560 was 2 speed, never had one. The 580 is 2 speed - don't shift the speed unless it's running. It also had the knives positioned by pins in the cutterhead so not really resharpenable. The 580 did have a dust collector fixture, the 540 did not, not sure about the 560.

Mine is probably the 540, and probably the first model in that line. I'll have to look. I remember using it in 1994, but don't remember when I bought it.

WD40 was close at hand, and the mechanism was rusted enough that I didn't want to force it. I wasn't worried about what the best thing to use was. I have other planers, but none close to home when I needed one. I have to stay at home to take care of my 106 year old Mother, but needed a planer to use. I'm surprised this one hasn't died long ago, but it still seems as strong as ever.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 06-18-2022 at 9:12 AM.

I have a 580 and it still works just like it should. Never had a prooblem with it.

The dust collection "funnel" is a PITA, clogs far too easily and hits the outfeed table on thin stock but that's how it worked when it was new. I'm guessing a design feature
    As far as the cut, no issues

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I have a 580 and it still works just like it should. Never had a prooblem with it.

The dust collection "funnel" is a PITA, clogs far too easily and hits the outfeed table on thin stock but that's how it worked when it was new. I'm guessing a design feature
    As far as the cut, no issues
    Yup, dust collection on that machine did seem like an after thought. If you want to have some "fun" try planing wet pine that creates stringy fibers rather than chips.