Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy Phenolic Plywood?

Where to buy Phenolic Plywood?

Besides Woodcraft who sells phenolic plywood on the east coast, preferably near Buffalo, NY?

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Besides Woodcraft who sells phenolic plywood on the east coast, preferably near Buffalo, NY?

John

Almost every concrete forming supplier handles phenolic plywood. Won't be in pretty color, just brown. Fresh concrete doesn't care about what color the forms are.

Does that product have a high ply count like Baltic birch?

John

John,

You might try DSI supply in Pittsburgh. In Cleveland they distribute the nevamar thick phenolic panels, which are actually phenolic core sandwiched between high pressure laminate faces. Not sure if the PB branch handles that. Or they may have something more like traditional phenolic faced BB plywood, if that's what you want.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

If you can source regular baltic birch plywood, you could cover it with formica. Formica is phenolic-impregnated paper. Formica glues nicely in a vacuum bag with good ol' yellow glue. And if you can't buy baltic birch plywood, use what you can buy.

Curious what you’re making and why the woodcraft offering isn’t satisfactory?

Blog Entries
    There is a place out here that I now see is actually nation wide. White Cap supplies build materials and tools for the concrete industry among other things. Sheets of phenolic ply are used in concrete forms and available through them.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

It's gonna be expensive. I bought two sheets to repair tool cabinets for a Porsche race car trailer. Cost was no object, and it cost $130 a sheet (4x8), plus $125 to deliver it from Los Angeles, 40 miles away. That was 5 years ago.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    MDO, which is faced with phenolic impregnated paper is a high quality experior grade fir plywood, no voids. It's tough as nails. At least that's what the stuff we get around here is. I used some to build a new jam for my garage OH door. It's north facing and the bottom ends sit right down in the snow, water and ice most of the winter. Years later it looks like new. Before installation, I impregnated the bottom 6" with some low viscosity epoxy before painting.

Really good stuff.

Ditto what Frank said. Around here there is MDO (medium density overlay), and HDO (high density overlay). Both are water resistant, and both are used for concrete forms. MDO lasts about 6-8 pours, HDO can go as high as 16 before needing replaced. MDO is/was also called 'sign board'. Sadly, I am old enough to remember when all outdoor signage was hand painted (MDO takes paint very well). Both plwoods are available with either pine interior veneers, or the much better western board which has Doug fir inner plies. MDO is brown in color, and has lightly impregnated kraft paper facing. HDO has much more resin in the facings, usually heavier on the front (pour side), than the back. MDO is usually stock at the lumber yards here, but HDO is exclusive to a yard that supplies to the concrete forming trade

Thanks for the feedback. Not interested in MDO or its derivatives as it's not consistent enough in thickness and is an unappealing brown. I want to use this stuff as the show surface. Woodcraft has some phenolic plywood but I'd rather buy full sheets. But if they turn out to be the only option then I'll either have to go with them or use BB and glue Formica to it, as was suggested above. Not ideal, but it might work.

John

google found several sources: https://andersonplywood.com/phenolic-plywood/

Here's one option, John, available in white and black:

https://www.industrialplywood.com/br...net-liner.html
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    google found several sources: https://andersonplywood.com/phenolic-plywood/
    I had seen that, Tom. Too bad they are on the left coast. I often get specialty plywoods from Atlantic Plywood who have a location in Rochester, NY, and deliver to my local lumber yard. Unfortunately, they don't appear to carry phenolic plywood or a similar product.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Here's one option, John, available in white and black:

https://www.industrialplywood.com/br...net-liner.html
    I'd never seen that stuff before, Jim. It might be a possibility. Not as many layers as I'd prefer, but as long as it's flat it should work. Thanks.

John