Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fan to blow dust out of garage while working

fan to blow dust out of garage while working

I do woodworking in garage while the two garage doors open, is there any good fan that I can use to help blow the dust out through the doors?

Right now I have got a costco pedestal fan, but it appears to be pretty weak, unless I pull the fan right behind me.

Might not answer your question directly about which fan, but this video by Matthias Wandel might help with fan placement.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L2ef1CP-yw

This is a double edge sword, honestly. A beefy fan can be had for sure...it just takes money. But best results come from having also having an air source "behind" the fan somewhere so that the replacement air for what gets pushed out isn't coming from the same place that the "dirty" air is going. Offsetting the fan to one side in a garage situation might help as it can help create a circular air flow, so you'll want to consider placement as Doug mentions.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    This will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    This will do it.
    Well, they got the name right. Make sure everything is nailed down before flipping the switch to on.

I use an HVAC squirrel-cage distribution fan from a system that was pulled out of a house. They're nice because you only need to open the garage door about 10". I guess the trouble is finding one easily. If you do, they're cheap or free.

Mike’s is a good selection should you care to do a little fab work to make it work. Another option may be this Tjernlund (pron. Chern-Lund) garage fan. I represented Tjernlund for 25 yrs in the six New England States. They make their products in MN. Excellent family business and excellent products. Worth a look. It is now 12 yrs since I was with them and I have not closely followed the product development. If I was to use this fan I don’t it to either a gable end or through the roof. Their graphics show it as an “air mover.” I don’t think I would want to blow dust into the attic. They make many unique and very good quality ventilation products.https://www.tjernlund.com/cool_breez...ooling_fan.htm

Yep I used one also. They move a ton of air and can be hooked up to 110 with a light switch and a donor extension cord. Make sure you restrict the intake or they will overheat. AC service companies that install new units have used ones sitting around.

A ceiling fan can be mounted with the shaft horizontal.
    Bill D

I have a couple high velocity 20" floor fans similar to the one linked below. They move a lot of air for their size... MUCH more than any pedestal fan. If you put one of these fans on a pedestal it would immediately blow itself over.

Two of these on the floor in the garage door blows out a lot of air and dust. The replacement air comes into the shop through the garage door above the fans creating a circular effect. If I open the windows at the back of the shop I get an even better flow pattern.

https://www.amazon.com/Hurricane-Flo...1&sr=8-42&th=1

I use these more often when welding than when woodworking.

719dKkwThfL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 06-17-2022 at 3:51 AM.

It works better to collect the dust at its source. The point at which the dust leaves the cutting or abrasive tool is quite small. Get enough static lift and cubic feet per minute of dust collection right in the dust stream, and there is less to clean out of the room air. Vent it outdoors, and open a window to bring in fresh air.

for the velocity 20" floor fans, will it be better off placing it in the back of the garage, instead of at the garage door?

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Gon View Post
    for the velocity 20" floor fans, will it be better off placing it in the back of the garage, instead of at the garage door?
    My shop is 40' deep. The woodworking side of my shop is 20' wide. I am sure optimal fan placement will vary by the shop layout. I have run my two 20" fans with one near the back of the shop and one near the middle some times. They get in the way in this configuration for me and my shop layout.

P.S. I don't own those exact fans. I own a couple of fans of the same design but different manufactures. I actually purchased both of them at thrift stores and replaced the switches to get them to work properly.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 06-19-2022 at 5:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Gon View Post
    I've been using a old 20" high velocity fan for air circulation in my 2-1/2 car garage for years now, It seems to work best up on a cart & near the front door.
    IMG_3022.JPG
    By having the fan about 3' up off the floor & directing it towards the back corner of the garage it creates a counter air-flow along the floor & heads back out the door.

Doug

I have been using the Harbor Freight 24" high velocity fan for a couple years in my garage and works really well.