Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Jointer to Keep

Which Jointer to Keep

6EFB0E1D-57D6-425E-B7B6-30F05986DD35.jpg971E35E7-86F0-4E38-8FC8-79E8C47EF6F8.jpg82C8A2C5-890E-4219-9F80-0D1D1708524D.jpg4E33484C-7B59-4723-A84F-C01C60D63397.jpg

I need some input on which 8” jointer I should keep. I purchased the Rockwell/Delta 37-315 jointer from the original owner after seeking advice here. I replaced the power cord, belt, and knives. I’ve used it for a couple years and have been happy with it. It’s a three knife cutter with 66” bed, single phase and made in the USA from the 60’s or 70’s.

I recently acquired a Grizzly G0656 four knife cutter with 72” bed, made in Taiwan. I got it for a great price and it’s in great shape other than needing new knives soon. I’ve haven’t messed with this one much as far as dialing it in. I tested a board and definitely needs a little fine tuning but not bad. It has a manufacturing date of 2015.

So what do y’all think on which one I should keep and sell?
    Last edited by Ty wayne; 06-16-2022 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Added photos

That’s a easy choice.
    The Delta because it’s made in America that should always come First.
    Aj

Here is my 315 that I just dug out of a storage building a few weeks ago after not being touched for 15 years. Look at the reflection of the fence on the beds after about 20 minutes of work. It was made when they knew how, and cared about the quality of cast iron. This one was moved not so carefully once a year for over 30 years, and still dead on. I bought it from a school auction in 1975. I needed one to use here, and this one was close at hand. This one also has the Rockwell brand on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 8.04.39 PM 2.jpg Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 8.03.06 PM 2.jpg
    I just have to see things right side up to know what to say or think. Green and shiny both look good, rusty too!

Is the canoe a Grumman?
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 06-15-2022 at 9:28 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

If the delta has a modern fence keep that one. I assume the grizzly has a modern style fence?
    Bill D

I would use both, say 2 months on one, then 2 months on the other, then decide. Or pick which one has the stronger motor so it can handle a helical head more easily. My 8" Grizzly is always needing fiddling it seems, with outfeed height, and I've had to shim it 3 different times. It seems if I move it wrong it goes out of adjustment. And it doesn't have enough power for a helical head.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Which does a better job and feels better to you? Brian
    Brian

My 315's been bulletproof since ~'85 or so. It still lines up perfectly.

Maurice, Yes a 17' Grumman. That, a couple of kayaks, a bunch of paddles and PFD's were free for the pickup from a nearby lake house. They were all dirty..... Houses here sell the same day they go on the market. The real estate agent wanted everything out of the yard for one going on the market, so they were free for the pickup. I need to build a bigger paddle house for our rental lake house.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Maurice, Yes a 17' Grumman. That, a couple of kayaks, a bunch of paddles and PFD's were free for the pickup from a nearby lake house. They were all dirty..... Houses here sell the same day they go on the market. The real estate agent wanted everything out of the yard for one going on the market, so they were free for the pickup. I need to build a bigger paddle house for our rental lake house.
    Thats a great score! We have several Grumman devotees in the family and a MR 340 aluminum division championship.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Keep them both.

I had a Delta jointer like that for 10years.

The Delta probably has better castings, and might be easier to make run true. I would keep the Griz for dirty wood. It's nice to be able to clean up wood and get it flat and not dull the knives on the good jointer.

Apologies to the guy that owns Grizzley. I own and use Grizzley stuff, and appreciate the way the company has improved over the years. My first Grizzley tool was a dust collector, 1997.

Blog Entries
    The fence on your Delta looks similar to my Grizzly G0490X. No surprise there since it is a DJ-20 clone. As Jonathan points out dove tail ways can be an issue; when they're not, they're not but when they are . . . If the Delta ways have not been abused I would take the Delta. I am a sucker for long tables on a jointer though. Outboard supports are OK but long tables are better IMHO. Tough choice if both are working well.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'm guessing you're in favor of the Delta but like the longer Grizzly bed?

I would sell one and buy a Hermance (still American made?) helical head for the other, and enjoy the extra room in my workshop, the smoother milling and the lower sound levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Which does a better job and feels better to you? Brian
    ^^ This. You have to make an objective decision, not a subjective one, for choices like this.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you all for the input. I’m definitely leaning toward my delta/rockwell. I like the longer bed of the grizzly but the heft of the delta along with made in America has my preference. I’m going to tinker with dialing in the grizzly more today hopefully and go from there.

I’m definitely going to sell one, what do you guys think for a fair price?