Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chairmaking Question

When you build your chairs, remember that chairs with arms may need to be a bit wider than the armless chairs.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Ordered the book yesterday. Looks like I don't have permission to launch the images.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    When you build your chairs, remember that chairs with arms may need to be a bit wider than the armless chairs.

Mike
    This is an important point that is worth highlighting. With my recent set of dining chairs (including 2 arm chairs - posted photos on the previous page) I was able to make the standard size chair width at the rear work with some front legs that curved out quite a bit from the seat height up to the arms. It’s a comfortable sit and entry into the arm chair, but next time I may consider making the arm chairs 1-2” wider overall at the backs / crest rails than the side chairs to help accommodate a wider opening between the front legs a bit easier. Design goals also play into this decision, and I actually like the “curved open” look compared to more rectangular design in this chair, but that’s all up for debate and personal preference once you have moved beyond the simple function/comfort.

This variable kind of depends on the size of the person sitting in the chairs; I am 6’1” ~200 lbs, so not small but not huge and it fits me well like a slightly large glove. If you want the chairs to be a size large then wider overall is better but typical side chair width can be workable with some flared out front legs like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Still waters run deep.

Yes, and Paul Kemner covers this as well for arm chairs, as well as making the legs a little shorter for a rocker, not too short, because a tenon is needed to attach them to mortises within each rocker.
    Regards,

Tom