Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

13 Jun 2022

Greetings,
    I made good progress on my son's queen bed project. I apply the last coat of clear on it tonight, then I can bring it in the house to cure a couple of days before I deliver it for setup and use. Now we are under daily heat advisory due to the heat and humidity. This only means that my shop time is less per day than planned.

I have made and shipped 4 cutting boards, made one for my son who is in the military and made and delivered one for my son who is also getting the queen bed build I'm finishing.
    Here's one of the cutting boards (White Ash with Black Cherry veneer strips inserted between the patterns):
    white_ash_cherry_strip_cutting_board.jpg

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

That really looks interesting, Dennis!

This past week I completed all the ground prep work for the new shop building while I still had access for the stone trucks via the property next door. The Big Orange Power Tool competently handled 115 tons of recycled modified stone plus moving back a bunch of the soil originally removed to backfill and support the compacted pad. Since scheduling currently has the build the second week of September (1 day for materials delivery and drilling holes for the posts and two days for the build), I'll be moving on to other small projects here and there to use my time. Most immediately, I have a work surface and support for it to do to "complete-complete" the laundry room renovation, for example.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Last week was our anniversary, so we took a 2 day trip to Mt Vernon, Ohio to celebrate a bit. High point of the trip was a visit to Schnormeier Gardens in Gambier Ohio. They are on a private estate and are only open to the public for a few days in June each year. We lucked out and were able to get a ticket before they sold out. Ted and Ann Schnormeier created the gardens over about 10 years on their roughly 50 acre estate. The gardens are mostly Asian themed, and feature multiple buildings, streams, waterfalls, and ponds, all beautifully landscaped and including many unusual and some rare plants. Ted Schnormeier made his fortune from the Jeld-Wen door and window company. It was a beautiful day and we enjoyed the several hours walking around and viewing all the garden areas.

IMG_1343.jpg

Aside from that, I did some sheetrock patching and painted the ceiling in the hallway, and also painted the family room ceiling. Hope to get the hallway walls painted and get started on laying the flooring this week.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Forgot to mention that I've been taking the FWW Fundamentals of Sketchup for Furniture Design online course. Even though I've been using sketchup pretty much since it first came out, I've learned some good tricks and techniques from the course. The instructor (Dave Richards) really knows his stuff and explains things well.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Finalized the DC duct work install. Started repairs on the failed MS - this is getting expensive. Finished the dust bin alarm. Note to self, et al., to get the timer to start, you have to cover the probe. Took me a while to figure that out as I was testing in situ and not bench top. Okay, so I'm slow. In my defense it seems harder to reach under the lid of a 55 gallon drum to cover the probe.

I need to use the slider but waiting for the DC MS repairs.

Went to a workshop Saturday with the NCWoodworkers.net in Raleigh and built a high vise. Stopped at Buckee's for some BBQ up and back.

morning folks!
    well may not be very exciting but........
    hung the doors and drawer fronts on the kitchen. I know some may find it boring.
    but i took the opportunity to learn about spraying a bit.
    they came out well enough, wife is happy so thats what is importnat to me.
    had never sprayed before, so tried it on the bathroom doors first there was definately
    a learning curve to spraying emerald trim paint in my fuji 4.
    (great excuse to buy a spray setup, lol)
    kitchen.jpg

Just returned from Maui where we celebrated our 51st wedding anniv. Last time there was on our honeymoon, 51 years ago. Right after our honeymoon, I left for 13 months at Kunsan AB in Korea (USAF). No woodworking involved, obviously..... ha ha Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

What a wonderful way to celebrate that milestone, Randall! Not only is Maui a wonderful place, but it clearly has important memories for you, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...