Thread: Ryobi Drum Sander Has a Loud Wobble

Question Ryobi Drum Sander Has a Loud Wobble

Hello,

I recently picked up this Ryobi WDS-1600 drum sander for cheap knowing that it was not in functional shape and have been tinkering with it. The one issue I cannot fix is that the sander wobbles out of control whenever I run it and I suspect the drum is out of balance or perhaps that the bearings are bad. I’ve attached an image of the bearing assembly that I’m unable to get off the bearing to try to remove the bearing from the arbor shaft. Has anyone worked on these before?

For future owners of this particular model, you’ll never find replacement parts from Ryobi as they discontinued it. BUT I found that a Canadian brand of tools called King imports this exact drum sander from Taiwan still to this day and they stock replacement parts. I just ordered a replacement 37 tooth gear for the conveyer motor that always seems to break on these models and it was like $28. King KC-1632DS 16" Open-Ended Drum Sander

Attached Images Attached Images

2. I know this is an old post but, I just wanted to thank you for it. It helped me out. I was able to order the parts I needed directly from King Canada.

It almost looks there is a lock ring down there. I have to assume the other bearing is restrained and in this one the shaft is free to float. For a long shaft normally the driven end is fixed and the far end floats for temperature expansion/contraction.
    Bill D