Thread: Dinning Table design question

Dinning Table design question

Hi, I'm in idea/design process of planning a dining table build & came across this design,

https://www.potterybarn.com/products...e/?sku=7267387.

I like the base design but wondering about it's strength & joinery. It appears (to me) that it would be very weak with in it just supported by some type of fastener at the legs only. Is anyone familiar with building something like this or have any ideas on it I'd like to hear your thoughts.
    Thanks

I think if cross bolts were used for those leg to stretcher joints it would be plenty strong. Like these from Rockler:

Cross bolts.jpg
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I’m familiar with the design. Too me it looks like a watered down version of a hay rake table. The hay rake design is very strong but also requires some medium to advanced woodworking skills. The splayed legs makes a traditional hay rake even more difficult.
    Have you looked at the table in person at the pottery barn. That might give you some clues. I suspect some kind of mechanical fasteners maybe even lag bolts. I would also like to point out the price they offer would probably be cheaper then you can build one.
    Good Luck
    Last edited by Andrew Hughes; 06-12-2022 at 12:33 PM.
    Aj

Yeah, those look good I guess a lot of tension in each direction would add stability and over time I guess you could go back & tighten up those fasteners if needed. The joint at the center piece to the angled ones that attach to the legs seems like it would be best if done with some type of lap/finger/dowel joint without mechanical fasteners for maximum strength ? But I really don't know.

Interesting table. I like it.

You could eliminate the hardware fasteners at the legs by using a wedged tenon joint. It would never loosen up.

It would be interesting to see the joinery where the bottom beam splays apart. That to me would be the weakest part of the design.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by lou Brava View Post
    ...I like the base design but wondering about it's strength & joinery. It appears (to me) that it would be very weak with in it just supported by some type of fastener at the legs only. ...
    The ankle-catcher near the floor is not the only structure holding the legs. At the tops of the legs, there are parts which might be called skirts. They are visible in the photos. There are four of them and they run from leg to leg. If the joinery there is what I suspect, they do a lot more to hold the legs in place than the ankle-catcher. I'd use nice strong mortise-and-tenon joints between those "skirts" and the legs.

There's an overview of a hayrake table build in the May/June 2012 issue of Fine Woodworking. The table in the article has a slightly more decorative lower stretcher, but does not have splayed legs. The joinery in the article is beyond my skill level, and I would imagine the splayed legs would add to the complexity.

FWW #226

There's a measured drawing and a video course available, too, if you decide to take it on.

My opinion of big box factory made furniture is primary emphasis on distinctive looks that come out every few years for customers that want the latest trendy look. To assist with the aim of replacing a piece of furniture every few years, joinery can be weak rather than long lasting to keep the price down.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I’m familiar with the design. Too me it looks like a watered down version of a hay rake table. The hay rake design is very strong but also requires some medium to advanced woodworking skills. The splayed legs makes a traditional hay rake even more difficult.
    Have you looked at the table in person at the pottery barn. That might give you some clues. I suspect some kind of mechanical fasteners maybe even lag bolts. I would also like to point out the price they offer would probably be cheaper then you can build one.
    Good Luck
    Thanks for the advice, I've never heard of a Hay Rake table now I can start getting this figured out. I've been working with wood for over 50 years pretty sure I can take on the joinery. Your probably right about buying it cheaper but wheres the fun in that ? Also I'm not a fan of Spruce or the finish they used trying to make it look like pine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Ragatz View Post
    There's an overview of a hayrake table build in the May/June 2012 issue of Fine Woodworking. The table in the article has a slightly more decorative lower stretcher, but does not have splayed legs. The joinery in the article is beyond my skill level, and I would imagine the splayed legs would add to the complexity.

FWW #226

There's a measured drawing and a video course available, too, if you decide to take it on.
    Awesome ! I used to subscribe to that FWW back in 80's maybe I'll start up again with the digital version I think I need to subscribe to see the HayRake build. Since I'm not a subscriber the link (I believe) is a preview of the issue because it only allows me to get to page 25. Any way thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Stephan View Post
    My opinion of big box factory made furniture is primary emphasis on distinctive looks that come out every few years for customers that want the latest trendy look. To assist with the aim of replacing a piece of furniture every few years, joinery can be weak rather than long lasting to keep the price down.
    My theory is that most people don't expect to keep furniture long term and, therefore, aren't looking for "heirloom" furniture. That's why it's tough for custom furniture makers to make a living.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    My theory is that most people don't expect to keep furniture long term and, therefore, aren't looking for "heirloom" furniture. That's why it's tough for custom furniture makers to make a living.

Mike
    I agree. And will add there a whole generation willing to decorate their house with pallets and call it furniture.
    Aj

Your local public library may have the FWW back issue of interest, which would allow you to read the article free of charge.