Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap hold down clamp option for a Grizzly slider

Cheap hold down clamp option for a Grizzly slider

I've been looking for a hold down solution since purchasing my G0623X slider used a few months ago. I can't see spending the money on the Felder version, and I haven't had much success with the Kreg Automaxx clamp. So when I saw this small drill press hold down clamp in the latest Woodcraft mailer, I decided to take the plunge (on sale now for $20) and see if I could make it work.

It works great! Puts a good amount of pressure strait down, eliminating the shift I was getting using the Kreg Automaxx clamp. I used white oak for the T nut which works will enough, but an aluminum one would work even better with less flex. Threads on the main hold down shaft are M10x1.5. I did have to cut down the threaded portion at the bottom of the shaft to make it fit and picked up a pack of nuts at my local big box store.

I'll likely pick up a second clamp which should cover tapers / straight lining boards, etc.

hold down 1.jpg

hold down 2.jpg

hold down 3.jpg

That's a very nice solution.

One small hint...don't really crank clamps down super tight on the wagon...just enough to do the job. Believe it or not, you can slightly distort the wagon if the clamps are too tight and pull up on the slot and it will not perform quite as well. It's not generally damaging, but it can be annoying when things don't move as smoothly as you expect.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Everyone to his/her approach to using a slider but over many years I have not used clamps at all for 99% of cuts. Maybe I am missing the point somewhere but except for a very few operations they are simply not necessary for my purposes and I doubt I do anything different to most other slider users. Do others routinely clamp every job and if so why?
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

That looks like a good option; I just ordered one. Thanks for posting.

I actually really like the Kreg Automaxx clamp as a hold down in some applications. As you say, its design does tend to pull the the work toward it. If it can be positioned across the the fence from the workpiece, that becomes a virtue. And it's so easy to use: light and accommodates different thicknesses without user adjustmentIMG_0334.jpg.

I have the Felder eccentric clamp (and a Hammer one, too). They work well as hold downs but I only use them when needed as they're heavy, especially the Felder, and so more effort to get on and off the saw.

I have had one of those for years sold for use on the drill press table, without the auxiliary table. I may have to borrow your idea for my own use.
    This would be invaluable for holding a board to the wagon for edge ripping rough boards to get a straight edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Everyone to his/her approach to using a slider but over many years I have not used clamps at all for 99% of cuts. Maybe I am missing the point somewhere but except for a very few operations they are simply not necessary for my purposes and I doubt I do anything different to most other slider users. Do others routinely clamp every job and if so why?
    There are times when clamping is helpful for either insuring extreme precision on something or, at least for me, keeping a large sheet actually flat for a cut, given the "quality" of material these days. Even the best sheets are not necessarily "flat" and they have to be flat and tight to the wagon for the best cut. So no, not every cut...but yes for some of them. Clamps are also helpful when using some fixtures, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    In addition to the situations Jim describes, clamping is also useful-to-necessary in the case of short crosscuts, say, under a foot or so. This is especially true if your saw is set up with the cross-cut fence ahead of the workpiece, meaning the force of the blade may cause the piece to rotate away from the fence, with bad consequences for accuracy and safety. As a hobbyist doing one-off projects, I am constantly switching between operations that do and don't benefit from using a clamp. This is why a hold down that is easy to get on and off is so beneficial--it lessens the temptation to skip the clamp and put your hands (too) close because "it's just one or two cuts."

That's a nice one and looks lightweight.

I have the big Felder one for my Hammer K3 and it's a major pain to use. It's heavy, difficult to put on and take off the saw, and the adjustments are annoying. As a result it just sits in a tool box somewhere.

I do have 2 of the Kreg Automaxx clamps and agree with the issue that they tend to move the piece. This generally isn't a problem when doing initial rips of rough lumber, but otherwise you definitely don't want that movement.

I might have to pick up this drill press-style one though.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Quote Originally Posted by David Stone (CT) View Post
    In addition to the situations Jim describes, clamping is also useful-to-necessary in the case of short crosscuts, say, under a foot or so. This is especially true if your saw is set up with the cross-cut fence ahead of the workpiece, meaning the force of the blade may cause the piece to rotate away from the fence, with bad consequences for accuracy and safety. As a hobbyist doing one-off projects, I am constantly switching between operations that do and don't benefit from using a clamp. This is why a hold down that is easy to get on and off is so beneficial--it lessens the temptation to skip the clamp and put your hands (too) close because "it's just one or two cuts."
    All small piece cutting is generally done using an F&F jig and using that means there is no movement when the clamp is applied. Honestly and with total puzzlement I simply do not get why clamps are such a big thing for some sliding saw owners but if it makes for a more confident user then go for it. Perhaps it could be that I always cut small pieces by measuring off the rip fence position so the piece is set hard against that before the cut starts and using the F&F jig it is not going to move. I find a lot of users who have moved from a cabinet saw do not work to the right of the blade for cross cutting, do others who have posted here work the same way, that is all CC done to the left of the blade? One of the first things I did when I bought my saw was to cut a small length off the rip fence as long as the rip head (about 300mm) and it lives on the rip head exclusively for measuring small piece cross cut dimensions and fitting a Wixey to the rip fence with a fine adjuster was a huge step forward in precision. If anyone is interested I can post photos.
    Last edited by Chris Parks; 06-13-2022 at 9:36 PM.
    Chris

That’s cool if you don’t use a clamp with your slider Chris. There are many ways to do most operations in woodworking. This thread simply provides a low cost option for those who do.

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    That’s cool if you don’t use a clamp with your slider Chris. There are many ways to do most operations in woodworking. This thread simply provides a low cost option for those who do.
    I understand your response but I am not trying to be critical at all of anyone's choices on how they work. I am genuinely interested in why I do things one way but others do things other ways. To me this creates a knowledge and experience base that should be good for all in a discussion on the types of clamps used by some and no clamps used by others.
    Chris

I use the Kreg automaxx 6” clamps and find them to be perfect for my saw that came to me with no hold downs to been seen. I have a pair for wider stuff (one in front) and one that reaches over the fence from behind, but typically always use at least one depending on what it is. Works perfectly and I’ve had to issues with them pulling stock away from the fence.

Not sure why you wouldn’t use clamps on a slider. Some obviously reasons to use them are accuracy and safety. Before I outfitted with the Kreg clamps, I did notice the potential for the piece being cut to shift *slightly during the cut, especially if the fence is forward / piece behind. Seems like a no brainer on a slider. If I had the money I would spend $xxxx on air tight pneumatic clamps in a second.
    Still waters run deep.

from years on cabinet saws nothing was clamped. The excalibur cross cuts had sandpaper on them and stuff didnt move. Now with a slider you can work with the fence in the back position or front position. Stakes will go up front position if you dont keep the material tight to the fence and it moves during a cut. Rear fence position giving more material support.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Not sure why you wouldn’t use clamps on a slider. Some obviously reasons to use them are accuracy and safety. Before I outfitted with the Kreg clamps, I did notice the potential for the piece being cut to shift *slightly during the cut, especially if the fence is forward / piece behind. Seems like a no brainer on a slider. If I had the money I would spend $xxxx on air tight pneumatic clamps in a second.
    Phil. a couple of questions

Do you use an F&F jig?

Do you work to the right of the blade setting dimension on the rip fence for any cuts at all?
    Chris

I've got the same saw (shop fox version) and have played with a few different ways to clamp as well. For me, I really need/want the clamp when ripping smaller/longer pieces. Most everything else I am comfortable just using the gripper to hold down or the F&F jig does it well enough for my needs.

When I do need to clamp something for a longer rip I've actually found that clamping a board across the outrigger (crosscut position) and propped up on the board I'm ripping works well.