Thread: HVLP question

HVLP question

I'd call General Finishes to ask the question, but it's a Sunday and I have to do it now. I'm spraying a General Finishes topcoat called Enduro-var ii, a waterborne finish. It has a 2 hour wait until you can put the second coat. My question is: how long can you let unused Endurovar sit in the spray gun can before you start to see problems? The bulk Endurovar comes in a metal can and it doesn't harden. So it seems to me a couple hours in a covered can won't hurt it and after some stirring should be ready to go. I probably wouldn't let it go much longer. Or should I drain the Endurovar, and flush the spray gun after each coat? Thanks for guidance on this issue.

V/r

Don M
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

Think about this...when the trigger isn't pulled, your gun is essentially "sealed". (unless it's an old bleeder type) So you should have no issue leaving the waterborne finish in the gun from coat one through the rest. While I have actually left finish in a gun over night once or twice, I don't usually do that "just because", but all day...all the time. No worries. Keep in mind that some additives for finishes can limit time to use in the gun, but in most cases with waterborne finishes (all that I'm aware of at least), even using a crosslinker or similar additive doesn't usually cause an issue with keeping a gun loaded through multiple coats and re-coat time waits.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

As always Jim has saved me work or has the answer to my question. Thanks Jim! Comfort level just got better.

As Jim said, you can leave most finishes in the gun all day, or longer, without an issue. But you may need to stir the contents before spraying the next coat if it contains something that want to quickly settle out. For gloss finishes or true solutions like shellac there's no need to stir it, but for something like paint that you thinned a lot I definitely would, and do.

John

That's a good point, John, and I'll add that matte and other non-gloss finishes may also settle so stirring is a good idea for subsequent coats when the wait is several hours between coats. The Flatting agents can start to settle a little.
    --

(as if these guys need something added to their advice)

Before you start spraying, check your tip for boogers and pick them off or you may get a sputtery flow.

Well, I must have the kind of finish that settles out quickly. I need to clear it with lacquer thinner. I didn't think about stirring it before the second go around. I'm using the finish right out of the can. As directed. I'll try everything suggested and if that doesn't help, I guess the next step would be to thin it with distilled water (5% is what the can recommends). It's dry to the touch well before the recommended 2 hour wait. Do I need to give it the full 2 hours?

I will not tell you if you can or cannot re-spray early. I will only mention that, I, um...often cheat...when spraying the Target Coatings products I use.
    --

FOUND THE PROBLEM! I would pick up the gun for the second coat. Pull the trigger and check my spray. I heard air coming through as always, but no finish. This time I visually checked the tip and there was a booggar (as Prashun mentioned) of set up paint on the very tip. I didn't check the tip visually until I had pulled the trigger and no finish spray. Pulled the buggar out and off the tip and Whallaaaaa. Good to go. So I've waisted finish, lacquer thinner and a great amount of time for tip booggers. All's well that ends well. Thanks to all.

Don M

Glad u found the prob!!!

I honestly forgot to mention the "booger" as it's just an automatic thing that I run my finger over the tip when I pick up the gun. LOL
    --