Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It's not about the shavings!

Start of a morning's work. This was in the air conditioned basement of one of the old houses I worked on. The little Lervad gets clamped to the table saw so it doesn't move.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    The little Lervad gets clamped to the table saw so it doesn't move.
    Many years ago my troubles with using a light bench was remedied by filling a bucket with concrete:

Cement Filled Bucket Stabilizer Long Board.jpg

This has now kept my light weight bench from dancing around for over 12 years.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That little bench has averaged being moved once a year since I bought it new in 1977. I would never have wanted to move extra weight. Sometimes I clamp a 2x4 to the stretchers and put it against a wall (or chimney). Sometimes I just butt a corner against a wall. I doubt many hobbyist benches have seen the number of shavings thrown over it. I would have bought a bigger one back then if I could have afforded it, and this one hadn't been on such a good sale. It's served me well since then.

I got a good laugh one time when I read that Chris Swarz said no one uses one.

The top just sits on metal pins on top of the legs, and the legs and strecthers fold up flat.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 06-24-2022 at 9:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    I got a good laugh one time when I read that Chris Swarz said no one uses one.
    This makes me think back to when I used to listen to a lot of radio. There was a call in program on the AM band that the host told a story about trying to pitch his program to an advertising company. The representative said, "nobody listens to AM radio." After he told the story people calling in would identify themselves with, "Hi, I'm a nobody from ___________," and get on with the call.

There are a lot of us no ones and nobodies out there doing what no one and nobody is doing.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Chris Schwarz would have a heart attack, IF he ever seen MY bench.....then again, there are some days, even I can't see my bench...even though, I do know where it is...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Again with the defensiveness. Of course people have small benches and do things to be practical or economical.

Does anyone have the passage that schwarz said that in? I highly suspect you guys are taking it out of context.

Just as the educated are not so impressed with big fancy benches, neither are they impressed with a small one and a bucket full of proof that it works.

So much is just taken out of context and people are just itching to draw up sides. Let it go already.

I don't remember where I read that, but it's been years ago. I did a Google search, and this is all that came up. This is the same as my bench. I can't remember if the sale price was $177, or $199. 177 sort of sticks in my mind, but I do know it was the Winter of 1977, the only Winter the lake has frozen over. It was the first thing I ever bought with free shipping, and the free shipping probably pushed me over the edge looking at the Leichtung catalog waiting for the weather to get better.

https://blog.lostartpress.com/2016/1...ard-workbench/

Here are some more pictures that I had in my gallery here.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Again with the defensiveness. Of course people have small benches and do things to be practical or economical.

Does anyone have the passage that schwarz said that in? I highly suspect you guys are taking it out of context.

Just as the educated are not so impressed with big fancy benches, neither are they impressed with a small one and a bucket full of proof that it works.

So much is just taken out of context and people are just itching to draw up sides. Let it go already.

With respect, you seem to be the one getting defensive.

Do what works for you in your shop, period.
    I have four sand bags on the shelf under my lathe for ballast. Does it work, sure but I'm not going to go around promoting it. You do what you need to do.
    I don't think anyone is saying anything different, I may be wrong.

I did another Google search putting "no one uses one" in quotes, and this came up:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....vard-workbench

Looks like his link is dead, but I do remember getting a good laugh out of it. I wasn't being defensive at all. I did think it was funny in my case.

Yes, Prashun was defensive in that he was defending Schwarz. So will I.

From the various things linked, in one case Schwarz commented in reference to a particular example of that type of bench, that it was in such good shape it looked as if it had not been used. In another he said "All in all the craftsmanship was excellent. I just think it could use a lot more mass." Both statements sound reasonable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Schwabacher View Post
    Yes, Prashun was defensive in that he was defending Schwarz. So will I.

From the various things linked, in one case Schwarz commented in reference to a particular example of that type of bench, that it was in such good shape it looked as if it had not been used. In another he said "All in all the craftsmanship was excellent. I just think it could use a lot more mass." Both statements sound reasonable to me.
    Why?
    So someone took Mr Schwarz slightly out of context while making a joke.
    No one is attacking Mr Schwarz, No harm done to anyone.

If I make a joke about using glue, screws and brad nails on the same piece do I have to apologize to Norm Abram?
    Lighten up, not everything needs to be taken so seriously.

Ok. I didn’t mean to make it even worse. Sorry for saying anything.

This has gotten a bit out of hand, but that wasn't the comment that I laughed at years ago. The link I posted was the only reference to that particular bench that I found easily with a google search today. There was nothing to laugh about in that article. He probably commented some time later that no one would actually use that little bench, but I'm not spending time looking for it. That comment was the one that got a laugh out of me. I don't follow him, so I have no idea when it was.

Someone else pointed it out to me, but I don't even remember who that was. I remember the laugh, but I don't remember the specific origin. I had no idea it would raise such ire with his followers, but even that is sort of funny.

I merely posted the picture talking about shavings, and then followed up with a conversation about ways to get around using a lightweight bench. I'm not a hobbyist woodworker. I produce work for a living. I get a laugh out of a lot of the teachers that don't really produce work for a living.