Thread: Machine table by hand

Machine table by hand

I recently acquired a 1940s Dewalt radial arm saw and need to make a stand for it. I want to use some old 4xs and 2x6s from an old deck and thought it might be a good hand tool project. I just need some ideas for the joints. No half laps. Possibly wedged tenons? Thoughts?

I would be against wedged tenons because of the possibility of vibration loosening them over time. How about pegged bridle joints and other timber framing joints?
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I have some 1 1/2" Butcher block and was thinking of attaching my 4x4 legs as seen on benches with square tenons or 1 tenon and an outer dovetail.

Bridle joints and bolts. Like trestle work or wagon or early car work where vibration can be expected. Bolts with plates can be tightened as needed.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    How big of a stand to you want to build?

Will you have out feed tables on both sides for handling longer pieces?

Why "no half laps"?

A small bench has served me well going on 9 years for my Powered sharpening station:

Small Bench.jpg

This is made of scrap wood and some 2X4s. It uses tenons to hold the foot rail and bridal or lap joints in a few other places.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The only reason I said no half laps is because want to try something different. I may rethink that.

Got 2 legs cut to length and plane for wind and square 2 sides. A little hybrid work for squaring the ends.20220612_100717.jpg20220612_094259.jpg20220612_100626.jpg20220612_093255.jpg
    Last edited by Richard Hutchings; 06-12-2022 at 1:05 PM.

Depends on the quality of the old deck wood, and what kind of treating it had. A lot of that older stuff is really dangerous to humans too. Let alone the amount of twist and cupping you have to fight with. Even with safer treatment, I will not work pressure treated materials indoors in my shop. I never work it outside with gloves either.

Its either use it or send it to the dump. I'd rather make use of it. I won't be dining on it.