Thread: DeWalt 60 volt cordless chainsaw

DeWalt 60 volt cordless chainsaw

I finally gave up on the Easy to Start saw and purchased a DeWalt 60 volt cordless chainsaw and so far I'm impressed. I'm not doing professional work but I didn't with the Stihl either. I manual says to drain the bar oil from the saw after use. I can understand for long term storage but what about daily? I know with my Stihl cordless I have to store it on it's side with the oil cap up or it will leak oil. Curious if anyone has experience with this DeWalt saw and bar oil practices?

No experience, but maybe it just feeds by dripping, and doesn't have a pump for chain oil.

I have the 20 volt version and it leaks bar oil. Only after cleaning up the mess on the garage floor did I read that part of the manual which says to drain some or all of the bar oil after use before storing. My old Stihl didn't have such a problem so I had not ever given it a thought to do so. Draining is primarily about the mess or so I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Watt View Post
    I have the 20 volt version and it leaks bar oil. Only after cleaning up the mess on the garage floor did I read that part of the manual which says to drain some or all of the bar oil after use before storing. My old Stihl didn't have such a problem so I had not ever given it a thought to do so. Draining is primarily about the mess or so I believe.
    I agree with that. I have a little Echo top handle saw. Great little saw, but leaks chain oil badly. After cleaning up the mess several times I finally realized it wasn't broken, that's just the way it works. I've also considered that 60v saw, but have too many 20v batteries to change now.

these are 99 cents on eBay--
    oil.jpg
    I'd just carry one of these around rather than go thru the nonsense of draining an refilling the bar oil reservoir every time I use it.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I use a 20V small chain saw and a matching pole saw these days for most of this kind of work around the house. I do find that the bar oil reservoirs can and do leak a little, so if they are going to sit, it's probably a good thing to empty them for storage.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a Ryobi and it will leak bar oil as well. I don't believe there is any sort of check valve to keep it from gravity feeding. I haven't tried it but wonder if you stored it with the bar pointing up would help? If you are cutting any more than a couple branches up/off the convenience of the auto oiler is definitely worth it.

Store them nose down in a 5 gal bucket. Or hang them on a nail nose down over a bucket.
    Bill D

At the flea market I got a little inverter for my Royobi 40 volt battery. Now I have 3amps 120 volts when camping. Waiting for them to make a 40 volt fan for the tent. They made a 20 volt fan

I never realized you are supposed to empty inexpensive chainsaws of their chain oil between uses. This explains why my Ego and Echo chainsaws both leak oil between uses. I thought something is wrong with my Ego chainsaw as it leaked all over the floor in my garage since I last used the saw last summer.

My stihl was borrowed and returned not working one too many times. I bought the Milwaukee 18v. The bar and chain are thin so im not sure how they would hold up to professional use but the thing rips. It is much faster cutting then the stihl. Both the Stihl and the milwaukee drip oil, less so with the milwaukee I store it blade facing down and dont have any puddles.

George, I've found that electric powered chainsaws often have the equivalent of "thin kerf" chains/bars which reduces power requirements just like with small table saws. This seems to be true for both plug-in and battery powered in my personal "fleet".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Have a link for a 99 cent oiler?

Thank you, you've answered my question. I suspected it was due to leaking issues. Interestingly it hasn't leaked yet, but if it did I'd store it on it's side like I do the Stihl. All my other tools are 20 volt so my new battery is a Flex 20 - 60 volt. While heavy it sure lasts a long time. I've had my 20 volt batteries rebuilt at Interstate Batteries. I hope they can do the Flex when the time comes.