Thread: Slicing Softwoods (Basswood, Butternut, Wh Pine)

Slicing Softwoods (Basswood, Butternut, Wh Pine)

I'm new to chip carving and want to know if there a specific saw blades (bandsaw and table saw) to slice wood blanks. Much of what I've seen for sale are in either in block form or small thick slabs.............thanks

I have used a 1/2" x 4 TPI blade on my 12" bandsaw to slice basswood and butternut up to 6" thick to make 3/8 and 1/2 inch slices, but it really pushes the limits of my old saw. A table saw would work, with any sharp, rip blade, with limitation on size of blade.

Either way, since you plan to chip-carve these, you'll probably need to finish the surface(s) with a thickness planer and/or drum sander.

It's been a while since I cut my own slices, as it's easier to order (in my case, pick up) wood from:

http://www.loesshillssawmill.com/sto..._Basswood.html
    .... Dave

Old carvers never die.... they just whittle away.

Is your wood green? Beware of sap build up on the blade. These woods are all fluffy and benefit from very low tpi

Quote Originally Posted by fritz eng View Post
    I'm new to chip carving and want to know if there a specific saw blades (bandsaw and table saw) to slice wood blanks. Much of what I've seen for sale are in either in block form or small thick slabs.............thanks
    I’ve cut and resawn dry basswood up to 12” thick for chip carving. I almost always use a 1/2”x3tpi bandsaw blade. I used my drum sander so smooth the saw marks. I use the same blade to cut up green wood 12” thick, hard and soft species. I did this for years with a 14” Delta before I got an 18” Rikon.

JKJ