Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Power Feeder on Phenolic Top

Power Feeder on Phenolic Top

Thinking of mounting my power feeder to my router table. I have the jessem phenolic top and a mini power feeder (the 1/8 hp model that everyone paints a different color and badges as theirs). I think the feeder weighs about 30lbs... bad idea? You think it would warp the top?

Edit: I have the mounting plate to help distribute some of the weight if mounting to the table isn't the best idea. I would have to use C clamps to hold it in place though as my fence rails prevent the L-clamp from fitting properly.
    Last edited by John Kananis; 06-11-2022 at 10:42 AM.
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I don’t think it would permanently warp however the force from the feeder may deform the top when it’s feeding a piece of stock if you use too much pressure on the feeder….Regards, Rod

Thanks for the input, Rod.

My gut says you'd want to reinforce the table substantially. They weight of the device is what it is, but Rod's mention of the forces that come into play as the feeder, um...feeds...is also a factor. I'd consider a metal plate under the phenolic table so you'd be sandwiching the phenolic top and spreading all the forces out.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I thought about maybe mounting it to the wall behind the router table so the only stress would be during operation but not sure that it wouldn't actually move the table from the force (I could experiment with this one). The other idea I had was to mount a steel plate (similar to the one I have for the top) to the bottom of the table and through-bolt through the top and bottom plates with the table material sandwiched between but the table skirt would be in the way on the bottom.

I have the same router table from Jessem and also have considerable experience with plastics. Yes, the phenolic will be able to deform under constant pressure, which is why there are the aluminum profile braces under the table to keep the router weight from making a bowl effect in the top. If the router can pull the table out of flat, so can a power feeder. It's one of my biggest regrets of getting the Jessem top. I would consider using a piece of right angle steel, mounted across the back of the router table, to mount a feeder, so that any deflection doesn't affect the routing surface.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

No idea what that table looks like so... I would bolt some good sized angle vertically to both back legs. Weld or bolt a good sized angle between the two above the table level. use that to bolt the feeder to. Maybe more angle horizontally bolted to the wall to make a big enough flat area to bolt to.
    Or perhaps a piece of pipe welded vertically to the base. pipe diameter to suit feed mount?
    Bill D

feather boards and hand feed. Every human is a power feeder.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    The other idea I had was to mount a steel plate (similar to the one I have for the top) to the bottom of the table and through-bolt through the top and bottom plates with the table material sandwiched between but the table skirt would be in the way on the bottom.
    That was my thought...you can likely modify the skirt to accommodate, but I'm not familiar with the specific table you have.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks, everyone, for the input thus far. The more I think about this, the more I'm considering wall mounting. If it pulls the table (shouldn't, it's pretty solid), I can add a shelf on the bottom and load it with tons of stuff. I have a couple of old motors that would do nicely for that. Also, mounting to the table will limit the fence's backwards travel.

Been there, done that.

I have a 1st generation Jessem router table with a ¾" phenolic top. I also have a power feeder - a ¼ hp Grizzly, somewhat heavier than what the OP has. I have used these together on several occasions, most recently to climb-cut molding in CVG Douglas fir for a set of eight window sashes.

I bolted a 10" length of oak 2 by 4 to the base of the power feeder to better distribute its weight and glued a piece of 100x sand paper to the bottom of the oak to eliminate slipping. I used a couple of c-clamps to secure the power feeder base to the front left corner of the router table. I did not notice any appreciable deflection of the table; there were certainly no residual effects.
    Last edited by Jim Morgan; 06-13-2022 at 12:47 PM.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    feather boards and hand feed. Every human is a power feeder.
    I was going to upload the ER photo of when I removed 5% of a finger being a human power feeder. But we've all seen blood before, and a finger with a brand new ogee profile isn’t that appetising.

I would build a bracket to the back of the router table and mount the feeder to that. If you mount it to the wall you will have to lock the router table in place or reaction forces will want to feed the whole table as opposed to the workpiece.

I use a table saw cabinet for a router table. The top is 1/2" phenolic on a wooden frame. I bolted piece of wood across the back of the saw, and the deer is through bolted to it. It's a little Grizzley feeder. That little feeder is great for a router. I can make tiny curved moldings without losing the molding into the cutter, like on a shaper.

The saw is old Delta, and I have an art deco on off switch to power the router. The cast iron table and saw insides were no good.

John,
    Off-topic question, what do you think of the 1/8 hp power feeder? I have wanted one for safety and steady feed rate on my router table. I am not sure how well they work. Ease of set up, grip on the workpiece, can it safely do a climb cut?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    John,
    Off-topic question, what do you think of the 1/8 hp power feeder? I have wanted one for safety and steady feed rate on my router table. I am not sure how well they work. Ease of set up, grip on the workpiece, can it safely do a climb cut?
    Thomas, I'd be happy to let you know once it's up and running. I purchased it with the intent of using it on my ts but I never got around to installing it. It's going to be a couple weeks before I can get to it but I'll report back with my findings. I think I have a good idea on how to set it up without too much stress on the table.