Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Garage cost...are you kidding me?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yea, really...that's almost sacrilege! That said, once I have my shop building up, we will, for the first time in our adult lifetimes have the actual ability to park inside a garage. That certainly can be a nice thing, but it's also a potential liability as Professor Dr. SWMBO has challenges with "spatial navigation" and I seriously worry about her ability to use the garage without hitting something. I'm not saying this as a joke, unfortunately...it's a real issue that's sadly getting worse. Maybe we'll go to one vehicle once she retires which potentially will make this easier on my mind since that makes for a lot more room on the sides while parking in there.

{end digression}
    Or, Jim, just get a car that has distance warning that tells you how close you are to objects. All of our cars have had these for 20 years (they're ultrasound sensors, I think). Removes that "spatial navigation" issue. I thought most cars had those these days. Maybe not. I've just considered them standard equipment. Many years ago (~25), I installed them on one of my cars.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 07-02-2022 at 10:23 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Garage parking is easy to limit going to far. I lived in a house with a washer/dryer in the garage. The end of the garage was raised 6" for about 6' for the width of the end of the garage. This meant the washer dryer end was half a step up. If you drove in too far the front wheels would hit that curb and stop the car before the nose hit the washer. There was a slight slope down to the car door so the step down had to exist either right at the man door or the 6' further in. The man door was opposite the car door.
    This feature cost roughly 1.5 yards of concrete. You could add the same with loose cinderblock and plywood or simply a level pile of wood.
    Bill D.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Or, Jim, just get a car that has distance warning that tells you how close you are to objects. .
    Already have that to some extent native to the vehicles...there are other issues (medical) that come into play here. The "spatial visualization" and reaction risk is also not front/back, but side/corners and no amount of beeping warnings matter.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Already have that to some extent native to the vehicles...there are other issues (medical) that come into play here. The "spatial visualization" and reaction risk is also not front/back, but side/corners and no amount of beeping warnings matter.
    Just have Valet Jim park the car.

My Lovely Bride’s vision is such that she can only drive in sunlight - no night, dusk, rain, mist, fog, snow… Chauffeur John has the pleasure of doing the honors ss needed. Rescue John is on call in the event she is caught in a sudden change of condition.

there are numerous ways to get around having the wooden poles below grade and subject to decay, there are concrete and steel bases that look like splints and they stick above the ground so the wood stays above grade,

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    there are numerous ways to get around having the wooden poles below grade and subject to decay, there are concrete and steel bases that look like splints and they stick above the ground so the wood stays above grade,
    Post 57...pardon the expression.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....11#post3201111
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My friend parked his car where he wanted to stop and then hung a tennis ball on a string so it just touched the windshield. My shop is in a one car garage that has the chimney intruding into it. If I ever emptied it, I think a car would have to be parked with great precision on all sides if you wanted to open both doors. Maybe tracks like the car wash? LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Just have Valet Jim park the car.
    My last Tesla could automatically open the garage door, park the car (centers it around obstacles), then close the garage door behind it. With no occupants in the car. I'm not sure the new one can do that. It made for a cool video. But not at all sure about making that a daily activity.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I'm familiar with Wentzville. Are you in a subdivision with zoning and HOA or in the country? I know there isn't much "country" there. To many houses. I didn't go through every post and I know there have been some references to post frame buildings. Are they allowed where you are? More to the point there are also many options within that type too. It's been 5 years since I put mine up so prices aren't going to be of great value. But my 30"x56"x14 with column posts and concrete floor was right at $25,000. You have Menards in your area and you could use their free online estimator to get an idea on cost. I can find you better prices though. Their are 2 or 3 Amish building suppliers in this area that are usually 25% under Menards and maybe more. There are Amish north of you 30 mile or so. Inquire as to whether they have building crews. Eolia to Bowling Green area. Around here they are very busy but that's any good contractor these days. They could put the shell up in 2-3 days. The hardest part is getting the shell up and concrete is a challenge as well. I would certainly recommend you consider radiant floor heat. The only drawback is no air conditioning. I don't know what concrete is there currently. I just had 130 yards poured for my driveway. It was $130 a yard. Definitely check around on other options. Both Morton and Cleary are post frame companies that have been in business a long time and have crews to erect as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    I'm familiar with Wentzville. Are you in a subdivision with zoning and HOA or in the country? I know there isn't much "country" there. To many houses. I didn't go through every post and I know there have been some references to post frame buildings. Are they allowed where you are? More to the point there are also many options within that type too. It's been 5 years since I put mine up so prices aren't going to be of great value. But my 30"x56"x14 with column posts and concrete floor was right at $25,000. You have Menards in your area and you could use their free online estimator to get an idea on cost. I can find you better prices though. Their are 2 or 3 Amish building suppliers in this area that are usually 25% under Menards and maybe more. There are Amish north of you 30 mile or so. Inquire as to whether they have building crews. Eolia to Bowling Green area. Around here they are very busy but that's any good contractor these days. They could put the shell up in 2-3 days. The hardest part is getting the shell up and concrete is a challenge as well. I would certainly recommend you consider radiant floor heat. The only drawback is no air conditioning. I don't know what concrete is there currently. I just had 130 yards poured for my driveway. It was $130 a yard. Definitely check around on other options. Both Morton and Cleary are post frame companies that have been in business a long time and have crews to erect as well.
    I'm outside of Wentzville and in a small HOA with each house having at least three acres. I've talked to the architect committee and they only care that it matches the aesthetics of the house. I haven't looked at post frame buildings and really don't know much about them. Having just moved here I have a long list of "projects" for the house not to mention the day job. It's enough to keep me busy until next spring. That along with having enough attached garage space to squeeze most of my stuff into has made me decide to wait until the spring. I'll definitely look into other structures. I didn't know about the Amish builders. Looks like I need to do some more research.

Blog Entries
    Everything is 20 to 200% more than 3 years ago. I just had my roof and gutters replaced with insurance paying for it on my house and detached 20x24 shop. $38,000. I about fell out of my chair. I expected $20 to 25k but wasn't even close. And simple roof on 1680sf house and 20x20 attached garage. About 75 square total. Just wow. The cheap Roush homes around here were being sold for $750 a month and are now $1200 minimum. (advertised pricing) these are roughly 1400 to 1500 sft stick built and sold with the company's financing.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hartmann View Post
    I'm outside of Wentzville and in a small HOA with each house having at least three acres. I've talked to the architect committee and they only care that it matches the aesthetics of the house. I haven't looked at post frame buildings and really don't know much about them. Having just moved here I have a long list of "projects" for the house not to mention the day job. It's enough to keep me busy until next spring. That along with having enough attached garage space to squeeze most of my stuff into has made me decide to wait until the spring. I'll definitely look into other structures. I didn't know about the Amish builders. Looks like I need to do some more research.
    A

From my working days I have some contacts in the Bowling Green to Troy area. I will try to inquire of them if they are aware of any Amish crews in the area. A post frame can be made to look like any other construction on the outside. Look around your area and see what others that might have for detached buildings. Post frame construction typically has a metal exterior but there are many colors available and sometimes people do brick facades on them as well. Some examples on this link.

https://mortonbuildings.com/projects/residential

Have you tried the hanging tennis ball and a dot on the inside of the windshield? If this still leaves the car on a diagonal, add another tennis ball above a rear side door that rarely gets used.