Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motivation Needed

Some people dedicate space for their hobbies such as kitchens, computer rooms, TV (movie) rooms, and sewing rooms. Many times our hobby room is a garage or basement room that doubles as a catch all space for large or dirty objects. Keeping claims on that space can at times be challenging. I have been reasonably successful using the two day rule, if it doesn’t move in two days it goes to the space for which it is intended, finished or not. It is amazing how that box of kitchen stuff from Aunt Clara disappears when it lands on the kitchen counter. Or that box of old bolts you intended to sort are still on your bench. Find a proper space or it goes to the ash can.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    Find a proper space or it goes to the ash can.
    Sometimes the hardest thing for me to do is to toss something out.

With scrap wood it has come to the point of using them for test pieces for drill set ups, setting planes or checking a saw. It is easier for me to throw a piece of scrap wood in the fire wood pile if it is full of holes or has been used to set up various molding planes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Sometimes the hardest thing for me to do is to toss something out.

With scrap wood it has come to the point of using them for test pieces for drill set ups, setting planes or checking a saw. It is easier for me to throw a piece of scrap wood in the fire wood pile if it is full of holes or has been used to set up various molding planes.

jtk
    I must admit that it took me a while to get to this point. I realized at some point that if that can of nuts and bolts was worth the time to sort I would do it and put them in the proper space that is already there. Or if that piece of wood had earned its space because of real value. That 1 ft piece of pine 1x2 hits the can the 2ft piece gets to live for a while. 6 2ft pieces will likely get culled a bit, maybe the very best 2 will survive. My neighbor can burn the others in his fire pit if not treated material.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    I realized at some point that if that can of nuts and bolts was worth the time to sort I would do it and put them in the proper space that is already there.
    My problem is there really isn't any "proper" space for storing a lot of my various fasteners.

Many of my smaller screws, nuts & bolts are sorted. Then there are a few containers of mixed by size and types. One thing that helps is a little box slapped together from scraps:

Hardware Hunting Box Sort Bin.jpg

It makes it easy to pour parts back into their box or bin after picking through them for one or a few that are needed.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)