Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saw this gem at the curb up the street...

Saw this gem at the curb up the street...

...and no, I didn't bring it home. But it was interesting to see as it's not common for tools to be put to the curb around here. Clearly, you're not going to cut full sheets of plywood without a whole bunch of extra support. LOL Vintage Craftsman; cast iron web top. both the fence and the miter gauge were stout.

IMG_1439.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Whats the address? The ones in my shed are lonely for another.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Interesting to see that they expanded the base to make it less likely to tip over. The base looks to me like they add ballast to add more weight. Probably cans of nails and screws or bricks.
    Bill D

That's funny, my shop neighbor just offered me one just like that. I thought about parking it next to my Sawstop for giggles, but told her instead to put it in her garage sale.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Don't be so quick to discount the value of that old Craftsman! I had one, with the extensions and fence system removed, in my shop for quite some time. It was setup for dedicated box joint cutting and I enjoyed having it. I only let it go when I obtained a Wood Rat router system.

Blog Entries
    The guy probably got tired of picking it up every time he tried to break down a sheet of plywood. The CG is so close to tipping point.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    A little old saw that is dedicated to a particular task can be helpful if you have the space. We had a stripped down saw dedicated to cutting a 1/4 inch slot and another for 3/8. I keep an old Montgomery Ward saw with a thin, smooth, 7 1/4 inch blade and zero clearance plate for making small parts and veneer strips.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I suspect it's at the curve because there are a lot of folks in this general area at that point in the "age cycle" that they are ready to downsize, etc. This address had another tool out there with the saw that someone apparently did pick up but I never had the chance to identify it.

Lisa, I don't disagree with you, but I honestly don't have a use or the desire to restore something like that. I'm uber-cramped as it is until the new shop building goes up and is completed (build date is currently second week of September )

Maurice, 18901
    --

Jim, I totally get it, and did send it down the road when a tool that offered more, for less sq. feet appeared. Just saying they have a value to the right person.

I found a stand, the kind with the splayed leg from an old craftsman, on my way home from a run. I added some ply to the top and put a ply cart under it. It now holds my drill press on top and pancake compressor on the bottom.

It would make a nice mailbox or bird bath support.
    It reminds me of a Agatha Christy story. Someone had disappeared years ago. The heroine of the story noticed a particular type of vine growing in the back yard of the missing man. She told the police that vine was only planted to hide something. Sure enough the body was fertilizing the vine.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-11-2022 at 10:55 AM.

This look like the same base. The bandsaw on top makes it even more tippy.
    Bill D.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I had an 8 inch a friend found for me on CL. He even went and picked it up. And it fell over the side of the bed of his Ranger in the last turn he made to his house. Tie-down came loose. Punched a hole in the outside of the bed. Said I didn't owe him anything for it, I paid him anyway. A lot of beat up stuff on it. It sat ... and sat ... and I finally tossed it in the scrap metal bin at the transfer station.

I found out later they're actually worth something ...

Had a 4 inch jointer with it as well ...

Someone did grab it between yesterday and today.
    --

Looks like someone’s creative mail-box. Bringing it home could be the ticket to a few years of of “all expenses paid” Federal housing.