Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comparing Vicmarc VL240 and VL300

Hmm, I know of only 2 lathes that use steel tubes. The Oneway, which is made in Canada, and the Robust which are made in the USA. Are there others?

robo hippy

Record power sold lathes with steel tubes eg Older examples Coronet woodturning lathe

http://www.lathes.co.uk/coronet/page5.html
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 06-19-2022 at 2:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Hmm, I know of only 2 lathes that use steel tubes. The Oneway, which is made in Canada, and the Robust which are made in the USA. Are there others?

robo hippy
    Two from down our way...

Teknatool TL-1000 - single square tube - introduced in the 1980s. The TL-1000 also sold into Canada. Besides being a cheaper option, one of the features of the TL-1000 was the square rail that could be any length you chose. An extra long rail could be given additional support for very long spindle work. I still have one, well at least parts of it.

Nova TL-1200/1500 Lathe - twin round tube - introduced in 1994. Came with swivel head and had outboard tool rest.

Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

Well, now I know. Not positive, but I think Oneway was the first. I have thought of adding sand to the hollow square tube on my Robust, but haven't gotten around to it. Probably won't though....

robo hippy

Record Power UK

Coronet No. 1, 2 and 3 Lathes &
    Record CL1, CL2, CL3

Introduced during the 1970s by the Record Tool Company in Sheffield, the new range of twin-bar bed wood lathes was, at first, designated as the Coronet Models 1, 2 and 3 and later (when the Coronet name was dropped) as the Record CL1, CL2 and CL3. The first of many well-priced and highly effective wood-turning lathes, all were of very similar contraction, exceptionally well built and used only proper materials in their construction with all the main castings in cast iron and solid steels bars for the bed. Top of the range, the No. 3 had chrome-plated bed bars and was more capable in terms of capacity and work rate than the two smaller models. The 0.5 h.p. 1-phase, flange-mounted motor drove into the headstock by a smooth-running Poly-V belt and the whole assembly could be turned through 90 degrees to allow the installation of a bowl-turning rest - the latter being supplied complete with a replacement headstock-end bed foot and a T-rest that allowed the turning of large-diameter workpieces. However, the two lesser models were also very capable (and reliable) and today make an excellent second-hand purchase for the beginner.

Last edited by Brian Deakin; 06-21-2022 at 8:08 AM.