Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cordless sander recommendations?

I have to ask don't batteries make the tool heavy and hard to move around? I thought sander design was going to light weight so it glides around easy. Lots of long smooth overlapping passes. Especially on non-flat surfaces.
    Bill D

Bill, that's a good question and yes, it's a compromise between the convenience of cordless with the potential increase in weight. That's probably more noticeable on vertical surfaces, of course. On the other hand, the tools natural weight isn't a terrible thing for the actual sanding operation on the flat...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

For me, a very very important feature for a sander is dust collection. When a sander is connected to a vacuum, it works better b cause the sandpaper is not floating on the sanding dust. And, of course, my lungs work better.

So what benefit is the cordlessness when you’re still dragging the vacuum hose around?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    For me, a very very important feature for a sander is dust collection. When a sander is connected to a vacuum, it works better b cause the sandpaper is not floating on the sanding dust. And, of course, my lungs work better.

So what benefit is the cordlessness when you’re still dragging the vacuum hose around?
    People do have downdraft sanding tables in their shop, and then you don't have to drag a cord or hose.

The point of this sander is to serve as a backup that can go to jobsites easily. Having a cordless option for touchups is really nice as opposed to having the cord and needing a vacuum. My mirka doesn't even have a dust bag so it's impossible to sand without a vac. No, the battery cannot replace a nice corded unit, but there are times when I'd much rather use cordless for a short while than try to run cords all over a jobsite.

I've got to admit, I have given the bosch a shot and it's quite nice. LONG battery life and MUCH quieter than the old dewalt jobsite sander. I sanded 30 cabinet doors as a test and it still had 3/5 battery lights. The attached dust bag did a pretty good job. A fan and an open shop garage door handled the rest.

I bought a Bosch 12 V sander last night. I checked out the 18V sander in the store also, I was kind if leaning toward the 18 V. But it was heavy toward the back and it was harder to keep flat The back wanted to dip. I have a couple of 12 V drills and drivers so I have have another charger and battery.

I will take it for a spin today and let you know what I think.
    Tom

Tom, please let us know what you think. I’m eyeing that model as well. What size battery will you use? I’ve read the regular 3 amp gives a very short amount of time, so you need to go with the 6 amp, which is a bit heavier.

Thanks.
    Kevin

I got the 12 volt sander and a battery and charger came with it. I tried it out today with 120 grit paper and 150 grit paper. I have several batteries so length of time is not an issue. I love the sander. the weight distribution is prefect. It is the best sander I have ever used. The dust collection was very good. The bag is the easiest to take off and put on that I have ever seen. I imagine how well it collects is how well and often you empty the bag. It can be connected to a vacuum hose but if you have to do that why not just stay corded but a $1000 corded Festool or get a different hobby.

Again I really like the sander. I plan on buying more of them.
    Tom

Thanks, Tom, was that the 3 amp battery you used? I have a few of these 12v batteries as well, I’ve just heard the run time is very limited, like 10 mins. The 6 amp provides more time, but increases the weight so not as friendly to use. Always a trade off. I really like the Bosch 12v series, too.

Thanks.
    Kevin

Yes, the battery life can be an issue. I got more run time that 10 minutes but it just stops when it is dead. It also slows down a little before it stops. The sander didn't get hot and I just switched batteries. The sander stops right now when the switch is turned off, no spin down. The grit of paper does effect the battery life a little. The finer the paper the smoother it runs. I noticed it ran smoother with 120 than 100 and even smoother with 150 grit paper. I tend to notice how even a corded sander tends to run smoother with finer paper. I just mentioned it because it might effect battery life, I don't think it has much of an effect but it was an observation.

The onboard dust collection worked as well, if not better, that other sanders I own or have used. It is the easiest filter I have ever seen to remove and clean.

So after using it all day yesterday in the shop and changing batteries twice, I Find the my opinion hasn't changed, I really like (love) the sander. I changed between 100 grit, 120 grit and 150 grit paper several times through out the day and came to the conclusion that since I do not like changing paper back and forth I will stay corded for 100 grit and 120 grit for now and go battery for 150 and above for now. I do not power sand much at 180 grit and only hand sand at 220 and above. so that also inters into my evaluation. I was working in pine yesterday and have a couple hundred more linear feet of 1 x 8 to sand today. So I will get back latter with what I find. Usually I smooth my hard wood with a cabinate scraper and don't usually don't start sanding with anything coarser that 150. I did sand some hard Maple and liked how it performed.

Again I have 5 or 6 extra batteries so battery life is not a problem for me. It did play an important part in the decision to buy that particular sander. Again I have a drill and driver with the Bosch 18 volt system so I was leaning that way because Lowes was offering a free 4 amp hour battery with it for $10 more. But I didn't like the balance with the battery installed.
    Tom

Thanks for the write up, Tom, sure looks like a winner and definitely on my list.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I have to ask don't batteries make the tool heavy and hard to move around? I thought sander design was going to light weight so it glides around easy. Lots of long smooth overlapping passes. Especially on non-flat surfaces.
    Bill D

That depends . The 18v sanders from the big boys like dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee , ect…..with the battery on top get really heavy ( and unbalanced ) when a 4.0Ah & 5.0Ah pack is used. A 2.0Ah pack is lighter but run time is compromised and the tipping point is still high.

The Bosch and Festool units use a smaller and lighter pack that’s mounted lower. It’s still makes for a tippy sander but it’s more manageable ; especially when a vac hose is used.

re: non flat surfaces…………………a 5” disc sander really isn’t the tool for that job - regardless of power source.

Yesterday at Habitat I bought a Porter Cable variable speed belt sander. Corded it weighs 10+3/4 pounds. I thought it was worth $30.
    Bill D

352VS

I used it all after noon yesterday sanding pine. It did a great job. Pine tends produce a lot of sanding dust and I didn't find any traces of dust. If dust is a problem for you I see no reason to go battery because you would need to have a vac hose so I would just stay corded.

For what it is worth I really like the 12 volt Bosch sander. I plan on buying another one fairly soon.
    Tom

https://www.toolnut.com/makita-xob03...nt=Catch%20All .picked up this .very impressed. certainly is agressive remover . love it .picked it up so i could get out of having a shelf of expensive boxes of every size sandpaper for new brand . these are just basic flat paper torn in 3rds .i can get this paper at ace hardware . have not come up with hose adapter to hook it to a vacuum .it does do a very good job though of putting the dust it makes in the bag . just something new .