Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A New Style Shooting Board

You might try marketing to family members of woodworkers. They need a gift to buy for the person who is hard to buy for. This could result in a lot more things never used. Please do not target my family. My small shop has no space for marginal stuff.

My question is how do you set a precise angle on it? With a protractor? And does the fence hold position well? Thats a problem I have with my shop-built shooting board. I'm guessing it took some complicated math to figure out the layout of those lines, so respect for that.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    My question is how do you set a precise angle on it? With a protractor? And does the fence hold position well? Thats a problem I have with my shop-built shooting board. I'm guessing it took some complicated math to figure out the layout of those lines, so respect for that.
    I supply an angle gage with the Universal Shooting Board, to make it easy to set the pivot stop or bevel angle to 22.5 or 45 degrees. For 30 degrees I recommend you use a quality drafting triangle. They are extremely accurate. For other angles you can cut an angle gage from a piece of scrap on your miter saw or use a protractor with swing arm or digital protractor if you are strictly a hand tool user.

The pivot stop is rock solid, both against the rear fixed stop and when pivoted to any angle of choice. The bevel ramp is equally solid, at any angle. No complicated math was involved in the design, just simple geometry and a LOT of CAD and CNC time to get it all worked out.

John

Blog Entries
    Nicely done John. Sorry I didn't see this and respond sooner. Well thought out, well executed, and sustainable through the replaceable parts.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler