Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tear Drop WIP

You take a nice photo of your work Bruce, makes it ez to follow.

Thank you John and Lawrence More yet to come.

My Handle is Splinterz25 on most forums.

Jack Of All Master Of None

“Can we stop all the tears”
    This piece is composed of art 101 shapes: cylinder, sphere and cone. The teardrop shape is very close to the cone shape. The main part or the piece, the cylinder was made from Teak staves, glued up about 3⁄4” thick then turned to about 1⁄8” thick. The teardrop was made from Acrylic. I had a leftover sculpture blank from about 30 years ago when I made Acrylic sculptures.
    The coloring on the teardrop was added to a glue seam, this is a combination of dye and metallic powder. The base is a hollow sphere with a puck light inside, made from Walnut. The piece's finish size is 5" x 15" and the wood was sealed with satin lacquer. I will post more of the in progress photos soon when I get them resized, thanks for following along and commenting. If you have questions please ask I will do my best to answer them all.

Bruce
    Attached Images Attached Images

My first reaction was "Holy cow! Look at that!"
    I've wondered for some time how you executed some of your builds. Watching along gave me insight and ideas - can't match your skill, but watching shows what's possible. Thanks for teaching us.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I've wondered for some time how you executed some of your builds. Watching along gave me insight and ideas - can't match your skill, but watching shows what's possible. Thanks for teaching us.

Fred
    Thank you Fred, glad to have you along and it's good that following along gave you ideas. I'll be posting more of the build photos soon.
    Bruce

Superlative work - really enjoyed watching along!

I like the first photo unassembled. Nice work!

Bruce,

It's a beautiful design and amazing craftsmanship. It's must be well balanced to stand on such a small flat area of the base.
    Thanks for sharing.

I'll join the chorus and say thank you for your thoughtful presentation of this project. Besides admiring the finished form, I am intrigued with your process. I'm interested in the way you cut the tube in half.

What saws did you use? The larger one looks like the Veritas flush cut saw.
    Is the smaller one a mounted saber saw blade?

An impressive job
    RD

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Fred
    Agree!! Thank you again.

When will the book be published?! You would be rich and famous, well, at least famous. 😄 Your name remembered 100 years from now!
    I’ve seen so many pictures of incredible finished work but it’s so rare (and special) to get a glimpse into the creation process. As previously stated, I, and some others I’ve talked to sometimes get a little frustrated at pictures of incredible pieces in certain woodturning magazines that look fantastic but often difficult to guess what steps even needed a lathe. Pictures like yours provide that insight and maybe a drop of hope to some that there may actually be life beyond the big bowl.

If you’ve photographed WIP of some of your other pieces a compilation should make a best seller among turners and artists. Even mostly photos (and even rough sketches, of available) with a few sparse captions would be wonderful. I suspect it would inspire some artists to take up woodturning to add a new dimension to their own creations.

JKJ

Okay everyone I had some time today to put together some more photos of this project on the lathe. I did not go into detail on the sphere box for the light. Most have seen a box being made, I will try to answer the questions in another post in a day or so. This is the Teardrop I had forgotten to take my camera a the beginning to show the Acrylic blank but took a photo of the cutoff.

And some more photos of the Teardrop. All of the lathe work on the Teardrop was done with carbide cutters. I use this tool brand https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Woodtu...%2C186&sr=8-18

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dooling View Post
    I'll join the chorus and say thank you for your thoughtful presentation of this project. Besides admiring the finished form, I am intrigued with your process. I'm interested in the way you cut the tube in half.

What saws did you use? The larger one looks like the Veritas flush cut saw.
    Is the smaller one a mounted saber saw blade?

An impressive job
    Thank you Richard Yes the larger saw is Veritas detail flush cutting saw the second saw is a homemade saw: a coping saw blade mounted in a dowel with epoxy I make two types push and pull from one blade cut into two pieces. these work very well for many processes.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Agree!! Thank you again.

When will the book be published?! You would be rich and famous, well, at least famous.  Your name remembered 100 years from now!
    I’ve seen so many pictures of incredible finished work but it’s so rare (and special) to get a glimpse into the creation process. As previously stated, I, and some others I’ve talked to sometimes get a little frustrated at pictures of incredible pieces in certain woodturning magazines that look fantastic but often difficult to guess what steps even needed a lathe. Pictures like yours provide that insight and maybe a drop of hope to some that there may actually be life beyond the big bowl.

If you’ve photographed WIP of some of your other pieces a compilation should make a best seller among turners and artists. Even mostly photos (and even rough sketches, of available) with a few sparse captions would be wonderful. I suspect it would inspire some artists to take up woodturning to add a new dimension to their own creations.

JKJ
    Thank you John you are very kind, this build is now done but I have a different type of piece already started this past spring. I now have a new lathe that can handle the size of my next piece. I have posted the making of a steady rest for my Revo 1836 and I'll be posting this next piece soon. This one will have a hollow form, carving and iintarsia all in one stay tuned.