Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tear Drop WIP

Tear Drop WIP

Okay everyone the progress continues on my new WIP. Made from staves then turned on the lathe. I'm just about done carving out the first side. You can see in the photos some of the hand tools being used to carve the tear drops to a point. The first step is to make ta hole using a Dremel and a rotary cutter, then the Flexcut knife to cut the point. You will also see the layout of side two. This is just the start of the first section of several parts. This Teak cylinder is 4 1/2" x 9 1/2" 1/8" thick wall.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Handle is Splinterz25 on most forums.

Jack Of All Master Of None

Appreciate the chance to see your "build up". Hope you'll continue to post pics as this project continues toward completion. I always wondered how you achieved some of the finished designs you have posted. So thank you.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Appreciate the chance to see your "build up". Hope you'll continue to post pics as this project continues toward completion. I always wondered how you achieved some of the finished designs you have posted. So thank you.
    Fred
    Thank you Fred I use to post my WIP's all the time but did not think many were following so I stopped posting them and only posted completed projects. I will be mor than happy to post more as I go along.

I am very impressed with the workmanship but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schuch View Post
    I am very impressed with the workmanship but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is?
    Thank you Michael, there is still a great deal yet to do, (hint) this piece will be sliced in half the lines are already there in the lay out but there at least two more pieces to make besides the piece shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Jones View Post
    Thank you Michael, there is still a great deal yet to do, (hint) this piece will be sliced in half the lines are already there in the lay out but there at least two more pieces to make besides the piece shown.
    Count me as one who loves to see work in progress. It adds another entire dimension to the pictures of the finished piece. Inspirational as well as instructive. Thank you!

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Count me as one who loves to see work in progress. It adds another entire dimension to the pictures of the finished piece. Inspirational as well as instructive. Thank you!

JKJ
    John so nice of you to comment, I really like to show how I make my work so that others might give it a try. I do not make videos as of yet, and this is the best way I have to participate in the wood turning community at the present time. I'm hoping more people might follow along and ask questions. Thank you.
    Bruce

showing vs secrets

John so nice of you to comment, I really like to show how I make my work so that others might give it a try. I do not make videos as of yet, and this is the best way I have to participate in the wood turning community at the present time. I'm hoping more people might follow along and ask questions. Thank you.
    Bruce
    Well when I saw your pictures my initial questions were answered immediately: the construction (staves), how it’s held turned, and about the making points on the teardrops. If a picture is worth 1000 words your three pictures PLUS explanation are so valuable to a woodturner. This could make us “average” turners realize “hey, I could do something like that!”

One problem I’ve always had when I see beautiful and artistic work, especially things that are not entirely round, is trying to figure out “how'd they do that?”. How much is turned, what is glued (perhaps cut apart first), how much carved, special tools used. Some of the work featured in the AAW magazine (is it an art gallery or a woodturning mag?) presents unanswered mysteries.

While beautiful for the art, the mysteries leave holes in my overall interest, a glance and I turn the page and quickly forget the piece and the artist. I’m much more impressed when the process is described or hinted - and I’m far more likely to remember the piece (and the person). With some artwork I sometimes wonder if there is intention to keep secrets.

BTW, if a picture is worth 1000 words then a word must be worth a mili-picture. (first heard from a friend well over 1/2 century ago)

JKJ

Well when I saw your pictures my initial questions were answered immediately: the construction (staves), how it’s held turned, and about the making points on the teardrops. If a picture is worth 1000 words your three pictures PLUS explanation are so valuable to a woodturner. This could make us “average” turners realize “hey, I could do something like that!”

One problem I’ve always had when I see beautiful and artistic work, especially things that are not entirely round, is trying to figure out “how'd they do that?”. How much is turned, what is glued (perhaps cut apart first), how much carved, special tools used. Some of the work featured in the AAW magazine (is it an art gallery or a woodturning mag?) presents unanswered mysteries.

While beautiful for the art, the mysteries leave holes in my overall interest, a glance and I turn the page and quickly forget the piece and the artist. I’m much more impressed when the process is described or hinted - and I’m far more likely to remember the piece (and the person). With some artwork I sometimes wonder if there is intention to keep secrets.

BTW, if a picture is worth 1000 words then a word must be worth a mili-picture. (first heard from a friend well over 1/2 century ago)

JKJ

the average person spends 27 seconds viewing museum art....

JKJ
    John I would gladly post photos of all my projects here start to finish with procedure and explanations every time, if there are enough people interested in seeing and participating.
    Bruce Jones

I'd be interested in WIP postings, FWIW.

… this is the best way I have to participate in the wood turning community at the present time. I'm hoping more people might follow along and ask questions…
    Don’t forget that many more may follow and benefit than interact. For example, so far for this thread I see over 650 views with just a half dozen people interacting! And the more “how I did it” you provide might answer most questions before they are asked while still inspiring many and building your “fan club” You may never even guess the impact you make all over the country and even around the world!

Don’t forget that many more may follow and benefit than interact. For example, so far for this thread I see over 650 views with just a half dozen people interacting! And the more “how I did it” you provide might answer most questions before they are asked while still inspiring many and building your “fan club” You may never even guess the impact you make all over the country and even around the world!
    Very good point John, I forget there those who do not interact but follow. Eugene glad to keep posting progress photos and verbal updates. At the same time I'm making this project I'm also building a large steady rest for my new Lugna Revo 1836 it will take a piece up to the 18" D with four 3" wheels, a wooden circle frame and steel tubes for the wheels and a steel base that mounts to the lathe bed.I'll post some photos of that as well.

John I would gladly post photos of all my projects here start to finish with procedure and explanations every time, if there are enough people interested in seeing and participating.
    Bruce Jones
    Pretty sure there are more than just a few of us interested. I really enjoy seeing not only the completed works but also the progress. Thanks again for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Pretty sure there are more than just a few of us interested. I really enjoy seeing not only the completed works but also the progress. Thanks again for sharing.
    Okay John I'll start posting more in progress photos and procedures.