Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody know where to get this 9 ply baltic birch (picture)?

Anybody know where to get this 9 ply baltic birch (picture)?

I'm trying to find this 9 ply, what I believe to be 3/4" baltic birch plywood but I'm not sure where it's sold. I usually go to Lowe's since it's closer but HD is here as well. The 1/2" bb plywood from Lowe's is 7 layers, the same thickness as in the picture. Their 3/4" bb is 7 layers as well, just thicker layers. I don't need a lot. Cost might suck some but I could see paying for shipping 2 1/4 sheets of this kind of bb if I had to.

Would the bb plywood HD carries be any different? Is this higher ply plywood referred to by a particular name?

Thanks.

plywood plies.jpg
    If the end of the world ever comes move to Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years later. ~ Mark Twain
    History began on July 4, 1776. Everything before that was a mistake. ~ Ron Swanson
    The economy of what you say lends more to it's meaning than the depth of it's exclamation.
    If you need a tool and don't get it, you paid for not having it and you still don't have it.

I'd check Rockler, or any local sawyers you might have.

There's a Woodcraft store in Lexington. They should carry it or know where to get it.
    BillL

Hardwood Specialties off Old Frankfort Pike near the New Circle Rd intersection will be your best bet. That is where I’ve always purchased Baltic birch here in Lexington. Might be a long shot now though with the whole Russian invasion in Ukraine. Good luck

Actual BB plywood has quickly become nearly impossible to source and when a supplier does have it, it's uber-expensive because it's pretty much out of production right now. Box stores likely are carrying multi-ply sources from other places and the quality and configuration is going to vary.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Our local hardwood supplier calls it Euro Birch and the last 4x8 sheet of 12mm I bought has 9 layers like the picture. Not sure about 18mm or 3/4" sheets. I believe it's still available just more expensive than last year.

Real BB has pretty much vanished around here. What there is is very pricey. We can hope that NA manufacturers can fill the void, I think it will be a while before we start importing a lot from Russia again.

I've bought several different multi-ply sort-of lookalikes from the box stores, it works well to start fires in the pizza oven is about the best I can say for it. Appleply is a very good NA product, but was wicked expensive even before the war.

Lots of inventory here, price for a 12mm 4x8 sheet has gone from $80 to $130 CAD in the last couple of years.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brad hays View Post
    That most definitely is not Baltic birch. 18mm (3/4") BB has 13 layers with the face veneers being almost as thick as the inner veneers.

I think there were several baltic states that made Baltic birch maybe four or five, Russia only one supplier of them. 3/4" was 15 plys and dropped to 13 at some point along the way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    I think there were several baltic states that made Baltic birch maybe four or five, Russia only one supplier of them. 3/4" was 15 plys and dropped to 13 at some point along the way.
    That must have been many years ago. It's been 13 layers for as long as I've known the product.

I dont know when and most likely different suppliers made it different. The outside layers were not as thick as the core layers on that. Ive bought that ply whatever name they called it from 81 or so. I think once I saw or had some that was not odd number so was made wrong. I might have some offcuts.

I will second the motion that the OP's picture does not show brand-name Baltic Birch plywood. I purchased 30 5x5 pieces of 3/4" baltic birch and 15 pieces of 1/2" just before COVID when I was starting my kitchen renovation. I bought plenty of extra since I was having it delivered anyway and figured I'd have it for other projects down the road. Anyways, my baltic birch has 13 layers for the 3/4" and 9 for the 1/2". All the veneers/layers are the same thickness to my eye. The OP might by showing some variation of generic birch plywood, but it is definitely not brand-name Baltic Birch or even some other equivalent like Appleply.

Scott

I’ve bought baltic birch ply from a local commercial shop that caters to cabinet makers. The last was a few years ago so I’m not up to date on the availability. Might look for such a shop in your area or ask a cabinetmaker.

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE