Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stapler vs Framing Nailer

Blog Entries

Stapler vs Framing Nailer

Hi,

I'm doing some researching for a framing job.. looks like the IBC allows 3" 14g staples in lieu of 3" 10g nails (in some cases).

Has anyone used staples instead of nails? I'm already getting a few staplers for the sheathing (16g.. not 14g).

Thoughts? Cost effectiveness? Seems kind of an odd allowance considering it's a different size than the sheathing staples.

Nail Requirement Table (IBC)_1.gif

cheers,
    Last edited by andrew whicker; 06-08-2022 at 5:50 PM.

I very much doubt that sesimic codes in your area would allow staples. For the same reason clipped head nails are not allowed. Also the same reason that shingle staples do not meet warranty requirements for wind resistance. they all rely on the proper orientation to meet force requirements.
    That said I have seen articles that promote adding sill blocking for shear nailing but attaching the blocks with staples to reduce splitting.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    yeah, I'm not really that interested.. just really curious.

Who owns these monster staple guns?

(we're D2)

We used to use one for pallet and crate building. I worked in trade shows and exhibits. Everything had to have a purpose built shipping fixture built. The ability to frame up and sheath with the same gun was really convenient.

My largest staple gun shoots 2-1/2" 15 ga. staples. I have only ever used it for putting on wooden shingles. I modified the driver so the crown of the staple stays on top, and does not penetrate the surface of the wood. I wouldn't use slightly bigger staples for any kind of framing. My next size gun down shoots max 2" long 16 ga. staples, which also gets used for wooden shingles.

I remembered I have used them for building stage props.

Blog Entries
    I'm excited to use staplers for the sheathing vs nails (blow out and lighter weight).

I think they would be fine if the sheathing is also glued with construction adhesive. Staples other than Senco ones, that have their glue on the legs, don't hold anything like a nail does in wood. For wooden shingles, each one is not holding much, and we shoot long enough ones to clinch underneath anyway.

I like Senco medium crown staples the best, but I can't often find them in stainless steel like we want on roofs.

I always think it's funny when I see someone referring to any kind of staple as a "crown" staple. They leave out the width in the name. Every staple has a crown.

used the 2" senco to staple down all the 1 x 7" solid pine on my first roof rebuild. All the nails from original were loose, i hammered them deep to be out of the way. The sencos have glue on them as Tom said, it heats when its fired and holds really well. The boards were firest ripped in half as per the Certainteed Shinglers Manual, the difference in the deck was dramatic. Original safety not on that stapler, its a weapon.

Depending on the extent of the framing project - framing nailer for big job, finish nailer can also shoot pretty large nails if smaller job. Have used narrow crown 1/4" stapler & Liquid Nails, to build crates for many years. Of course if job is smaller, a hammer will work just fine = good exercise 8 > )

After pulling up oak flooring installed with cleat nails and with staples, I think staples hold better than nails. Not directly applicable to framing but I wouldn't worry about them pulling out. They might shear easier, however.

We can't even use staples for sheeting here by code. Use coil guns with ringshanks for sheeting and siding, but we can use clipped head framers. Go figure.

Never used one of the really big staplers, but I'm sure it'd work fine if the framer knows what he's doing.

Blog Entries
    Why can't you use staples for sheathing?

Is it wind shear? Just some oddball local code exception?

Here is a picture of my two big staplers. Both are from about 1975. I bought the MII then, and bought the MIII just a few years ago. Both are from before there was any adjustment on the depth of set for a fastener, and both would slam the crown just below the surface before I shortened the drivers. They work great, and never jamb. Maximum size staples also in the picture, and loaded in the guns.

You can buy these cheap that don't work, and all it is most likely is the firing seal split from age. They're easy to replace.
    staplers.jpg
    Last edited by Tom M King; 06-09-2022 at 2:16 PM.

Some inspectors in my area won't allow staples for sheating. I have never seen them used for framing. I only use nails for sheating.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew whicker View Post
    Why can't you use staples for sheathing?

Is it wind shear? Just some oddball local code exception?
    If I had to guess, it's from a meshing of a couple code versions, some guessing and good old fashioned bureaucracy. Wind loads and ratings are high here, could be that too. A while back everyone switched to staples for shingles, which didn't hold up well
    to wind here, possibly related.