Thread: AAW Symposium in Chattanooga - who's going?

AAW Symposium in Chattanooga - who's going?

I am - I'll be a videographer for about 6 demos over 3 days, so be kind - constructive criticism only.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

I will be driving down from Michigan.Current gas prices are going to put a dent in my tool purchase budget.

Im just not the kind of guy to shove my way into a crowd and hope to get a seat at the demos I want to see. Gave up decades ago on the National Symposium. 100,000 new Covid cases a day in the United States would have kept me anyway.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 06-09-2022 at 10:42 PM.

I wanted to go, but just can't get the time off.... Hopefully the manufacturer of my inside bowl rests will have them there.....

robo hippy

Reed,

Who is making the Robo Hippy "S-shaped" Tool Rests now? That rest looks like I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    Who is making the Robo Hippy "S-shaped" Tool Rests now? That rest looks like I need it.
    Mark, I hope you can find what you want. I’m not Robo Reed but in case you can’t find it: might check with Robust. https://www.turnrobust.com/tool-rests/ Their rests are steel with a hardened rod on top. I’ve been quite happy with them; have about 10, a set for each lathe, a couple curved. I’ve never seen the ‘S’ rests.

Brent at Robust made a custom rest for me a few years ago. I don’t know if he makes or will make an ‘S’ shaped rest. Maybe his stock rests would do the job.

I’ve made several tool rests. If you have metal-working equipment/skills it’s not too much effort. For an ‘S’ rest similar to the Robust design i’d prob cut a 1/4” or so thick mild steel bar to shape, bend it into the ’S’ with the hydraulic press and/or a torch, weld to a round bar to fit my lathe, bend an unhardened 1/4” tool steel rod (e.g. O1) to fit, harden the rod, tack weld it to the top of the rest, fill in the gaps with JB Weld.

JKJ

I can't say who is making them till they are out again. As near as I can tell, it is the only inside bowl rest that was designed by a real bowl turner.... If you watch Lisa Ramlow on You Tube, she has a set of them. They were designed for inside bowls, but work very well for the outside as well, and even on hollow forms. Stay tuned...

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I wanted to go, but just can't get the time off.... Hopefully the manufacturer of my inside bowl rests will have them there.....

robo hippy
    Sneaky advertising! LOL

I do watch Lisa Ramlow, and that's where I saw your "s" shaped tool rest. I could sure use that one.