Thread: how to remove olive oil ring on mahogany table?

how to remove olive oil ring on mahogany table?

Hello! I’m writing to seek advice about how to approach refinishing a piece of solid mahogany that we use as a coffee table. I had put a plate down that had olive oil on the bottom, and it left a ring. I tried addressing it with Watco refinishing oil, but that had no effect.

The finish on it is Watco Danish Oil.

Do we need to sand it down? Or is there some finish/cleaner that we should try?

Thank you for any advice!
    Irene

I’ve heard of using talcum powder to absorb oil.

I would wipe it with mineral spirits several times and see if that removes the olive oil. Do the whole top on the last pass. If that fails then I think it means the olive oil is now down into the underlying Danish Oil. If so, I'd wait a month or two to see if it disappears on it's own before doing anything more. If it doesn't go away then I think you are looking at a complete stripping and refinishing job if it really bothers you. Good luck.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I’ve heard of using talcum powder to absorb oil.
    Forgive the delayed response! I tried that right after you posted it, but the stain didn't budge; perhaps it would work if I had caught it shortly after the spill. Thank you!

Thank you for this idea, and I'll begin the process tomorrow (I am sorry it has taken me so long to reply; I have been out of town.)

Will
    Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I would wipe it with mineral spirits several times and see if that removes the olive oil. Do the whole top on the last pass. If that fails then I think it means the olive oil is now down into the underlying Danish Oil. If so, I'd wait a month or two to see if it disappears on it's own before doing anything more. If it doesn't go away then I think you are looking at a complete stripping and refinishing job if it really bothers you. Good luck.

John