Thread: Rotary appears to be malfunctioning - Distorting image

Rotary appears to be malfunctioning - Distorting image

My laser is distorting the image when on rotary, sometimes makes it narrow, then it could be stretched, then it might then do a correct size, from the same file sent to the laser and just repeated.

I’m using the same settings I have always used for set up. I have double checked all my settings incl diameter ones to confirm everything is correct.
    Also shut down and restarted the computer and laser.
    The glass is held by claw to rotate. I’d appreciate any suggestions of what could be causing this and hoping it is something I can fix myself fairly quickly as of course it is always when something needs to go out the door.. I’m thinking the issue is in the rotary attachment itself.

Attached some pictures of what it is doing

Attached Images Attached Images

machine you're using-?
    Has that rotary always had that heavy-ass chuck on it?
    Are your X-Y-Rotary motors steppers or servo?

If the rotary is servo driven, it's quite likely the encoder being used is dirty and not counting steps correctly, and when servo's miss steps, it means the head/chuck will move to the NEXT step it can read, which means whatever you're engraving will grow larger in the Y/Rotary axis.

This can also happen with stepper motors, but in my experience when steppers go bad they kinda go nuts and do whatever they want- but that's usually due to an electrical connection malfunction. However, a 'weak' stepper or bad stepper driver may cause the same results you're getting...

Aside from that, mechanical issues are next to check, like could the chuck be loose on its drive shaft, or the jaws aren't gripping the glass good...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Thanks Kev for your response. Not sure why machine info isn’t coming up at the bottom of my message, nor how to get it there. I have it on my profile page.

CX1200 - Co2 Chinese laser

And yes it has always had the heavy-assed chuck ;-). Works pretty well and easy for quick swap of glasses etc… just a few seconds, products very securely held and in exactly the same place. Just need to be careful you don’t over tighten…

It is a stepper Motor, and belts are firm. I have marked free movement of chuck on drive shaft on photo added. Bout 20mm or 3/4’’ when off. It is double that when on and job has been sent
    Kinda goes nuts and do whatever sounds about right, however connection to machine was tight in and wiring looks fine

20220609_095130stepper movement.jpg