Thread: Chuck jaw ID help!

Chuck jaw ID help!

I came across these three sets of jaws at an estate sale. No one at the sale had any idea what they went to. I own a Oneway Stronghold and they don't fit

The two sets of tall jaws have the same screw spacing about 1-1/16" center to center of the holes

the 3" black bowl jaws measure about 11/16" center to center of the holes. .

Any idea of the brand of chucks these may fit?
    Thanks Ricc

Attachment 480426Attachment 480427Attachment 480430
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ricc Havens; 06-08-2022 at 11:34 AM.

Looks like Vicmarc jaws

Quote Originally Posted by guy laizure View Post
    Looks like Vicmarc jaws
    Yes, Vicmarc.

1st is Vicmarc 35mm Pin Jaws

2nd is Vicmarc Shark Jaws - they go from 48mm to 130mm OD on the true circle.

3rd could be Vicmarc Dovetail Jaws - they range from 85 to 235mm OD on the true circle. I could measure the distance between mounting holes on a set of mine if you are still in doubt.

The standard jaws that come with a Vicmarc chuck are 47mm OD on the circle for the smaller chucks and 68mm OD on the circle for their larger chucks.

The first two jaw sets look to be very well used (like mine), which doesn't matter in terms of their functionality.
    Last edited by Neil Strong; 06-08-2022 at 1:19 AM.
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

Thanks Guy and Neil. I was guessing the two taller jaw sets were Vicmarc. But, wanted to confirm based on screw hole spacing. And wanted to confirm if they were for a Vicmarc VM100 Chuck or a VM20/150 Chuck based on the screw hole spacing.

But, as stated above - the first photo is a set of 3" bowl dovetail jaws. The mounting screw hole spacing is different than the two sets of pin or shark jaws. So I don't think the 3" bowl jaws are the same manufacturer. But, if they are the same manufacturer they don't fit the same chuck size due to the screw hole spacing. So I need to find out what they fit.

The hole spacing on the 3" dovetail jaws measure about 11/16" center to center of the holes on the 3" black dovetail bowl jaws. The hole spacing on the pin/shark style jaws is about 1-1/16" center to center.
    Last edited by Ricc Havens; 06-08-2022 at 11:33 AM.

Vicmarc has a couple ranges of jaws
    90, 100 and 120,140, 150
    https://vicmarc.com/product-page/chuck-jaws
    The large jaws "look" like these
    https://www.teknatool.com/products/s...-set-js100n-r/

Quote Originally Posted by Ricc Havens View Post

The hole spacing on the 3" dovetail jaws measure about 11/16" center to center of the holes on the 3" black dovetail bowl jaws. The hole spacing on the pin/shark style jaws is about 1-1/16" center to center.
    OK, I'll measure my Nova, smaller Vicmarc and larger Vicmarc jaw sets when I'm in my workshop next and let you know.

And, here is a thread on compatibility that may be useful if you are deciding which way to go with a chuck for those jaws.

https://www.aawforum.org/community/t...ceplates.5401/

The information provided by the Australian contributors to that thread is accurate.
    Neil

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

There seems to be two threads running on this same topic. I have also posted in the other thread not realising that was the case.
    Neil