Thread: Chuck jaw ID help!

Chuck jaw ID help!

I came across these three sets of jaws at an estate sale. No one at the sale had any idea what they went to. I own a Oneway Stronghold and they don't fit

The two sets of tall jaws have the same screw spacing about 1-/16" center to center of the holes

the 3" black bowl jaws measure about 11/16" center to center of the holes. .

Any idea of the brand of chucks these may fit?
    Thanks Ricc

IMG_0409.jpgIMG_0407.jpgIMG_0405.jpg

The first two are most likely Vicmarc
    The last one may be Teknatool (Nova)

Ricc, the second one looks a lot like a set of 35mm Sorby “Patriot” jaws, that fit Nova / Teknatool jaws. The third set, the black ones, look like a set of jaws from PSI. Send them to me and I’ll tell you whether or not I’m correct! HAHA
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

The hole pattern (ie 4 per jaw) in your third jaw set is the same as those in my Nova 100mm bowl jaw set...
    As far as I know Vicmarc and Oneway don't have anything similar.

The distance between the screw holes on all the the Nova chucks are approx...

However, their larger chuck and jaws have three mounting holes, but the inner two mounting holes are still the same distance apart as their smaller jaws and chucks. This is all about their jaw sets being backward compatible...

There is some limited jaw compatibility with adjustments) between the Nova chucks and smaller the Vicmarc chucks, but none between Vicmarc's smaller and larger chucks and between Vicmarc's larger jaws and the Nova chucks. The larger Vicmarc chucks went with just two screw holes but further apart and with larger screws. They also required a larger hex T-bar than their smaller chucks (same as used on the Novas).

Here is the approx distance between screw hole centres on the smaller Vicmarc chucks...

And on their larger Chuck/jaws...

Olivers Woodturning in the UK say that the Nova jaws "also fit the Robert Sorby (confirming what Walter has said) and Record Power chucks".

Here is a quote from a 17yr old post by Russ Fairfield (RIP) that was accurate then and still much the case...

The following is all that I know about it.

The Oneway "Talon" and the Oneway "Scroll" chuck use the same jaws and they are interchangeable.

These same jaws can be used on the Nova "Original" and the "SuperNova" with a slight modification. Some sizes of the Oneway jaws have a little pin in the back side of one of the jaws to limit travel when they are used the Oneway chucks. That pin will have to be pulled out or ground down to use the jaws in the 2 Nova chucks. Other than that, they are idenrical. I understand that the reason they are interchangeable with the Nova is that, in the beginning, Oneway made the Nova scroll chucks, so they are essentially the same chuck.

The Nova "Original" and "SuperNova' jaws are identical, and are interchangeagle with each other and can also be used on either the Oneway "Talon" or the "Scroll" chuck.

The Nova "Titan" uses three (3) screws to attach the jaws to the chuck, and they are interchangeable with nothing else (that I know of). All other chucks use a two (2) screw attachment.

The Axminster "Apprentice" uses a jaw that fits nothing except another "Apprentice".

All other Axminster jaws are universal to all Axminster chucks, but they are interchangeable with nothing else.

Vicmarc chuck jaws are and have always been made specifically for each chuck size, and there is almost no interchangeability between the different sizes of chucks within the Vicmarc line, and none of the Vicmark jaws will fit any other chuck, that I know of. Some of the new Vicmarc jaws will fit some of the older discontinued chuck models, but I would recommed checking with Vicmarc or having access to the actual chuck jaws to check the fit.

Vicmarc does make an adapter plate so their smaller jaws can be used on the Nova Original and SuperNova, and therefore also on the Oneway Talon.

Somebody is now making a universal chuck that is advertised to accept every jaw from every manufacturer. However, I have seen some messages that its universal appeal is overstated, and that there are a lot of jaws that won't fit. Not having seen the chuck, someone else will have to comment on what will and won't fit.

The moral to this story is that, except for the Oneway/Talon/Nova/SuperNova connection, once we buy a chuck from any manufacturer, we are captured to that brand.
    I have some 'adaptors' that Vermec made to allow Vicmarc jaws to be used on the smaller Nova chucks, but haven't seen them being offered for about a decade, but maybe someone might have a spare unused set of those in their bottom drawer. BTW, Enzo who runs Vermec is the brother of Vic who runs Vicmarc, a pair of smart Swiss engineers who now live and run their businesses here in Australia.

I hope some of that helps.
    Last edited by Neil Strong; 06-09-2022 at 3:10 AM.
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

There seems to be two threads running on this same topic. I have also posted in the other thread not realising that was the case.
    Neil

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

Thanks Neil!! not sure how two threads got started toher than my computer or internet signal locked up when posting. But I couldn't find a way to delet one of them to remove the duplicate.

Based on your measurements and photos it does look like the 3" bowl jaws are Nova. And based on your measurements it looks like the other two sets of jaws fit the larger Vicmarc based on the screw hole spacing.

THANKS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricc Havens View Post
    Thanks Neil!! not sure how two threads got started toher than my computer or internet signal locked up when posting. But I couldn't find a way to delet one of them to remove the duplicate.

Based on your measurements and photos it does look like the 3" bowl jaws are Nova. And based on your measurements it looks like the other two sets of jaws fit the larger Vicmarc based on the screw hole spacing.

THANKS!!!
    So they're exactly what I said they were in my first post and exactly what I linked to in the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    So they're exactly what I said they were in my first post and exactly what I linked to in the other thread.
    no offense meant to you Ed. You did only state in the other thread that Vicmarc made these in a couple ranges. You didn’t specify which range of their chucks that these did fit. The Vicmarc chuck owners manual shows the same shape of jaws available for both sizes of their chucks. That’s why I needed clarification on the measurement of the screw hole spacing that Neil provided.

I was only being a bit snarky

I didn't realize you wanted someone to do all the research for you, sorry

I was only being a bit snarky

I didn't realize you wanted someone to do all the research for you, sorry
    I didn't expect anyone to do the research. I tried to find the info online. I had looked and found Vicmarc chuck owners manuals online but they didn't have the hole measurement specs to determine which size chuck they fit They just had drawings showing the same jaw style sets were available for each chuck. I also emailed Vicmarc in Australia and still have not gotten a response.

So I thought I would turn to the usually helpful and less snarky turning community to see if a Vicmarc chuck owner would be able to provide the measurements. And Neil was very kind to do that for me. THANKS again Neil!!
    Last edited by Ricc Havens; 06-10-2022 at 10:26 AM.

I was being serious
    I identified the jaws and pointed you toward the appropriate websites
    I honestly thought that was enough. How was I to know the info you were looking for isn't on the manufacturers site.
    I think Neil went above and beyond.

I think Neil went above and beyond.
    Not at all.

Having lived through the development of the modern woodturning chuck I know how tricky it can be to find and sort these things out.

Some information is readily available from manufacturers, but some is not. They won't readily provide information that a competitor might want to know, which they consider a customer doesn't need to know.... 'buy our chucks and jaws and everything will work together the way we say it will'. Their documentation only goes as far as they thinks a customer needs.

Things like screw spacing and grove dimensions are never provided in the documentation. But, collectively we can fill in the gaps and I was happy to do that for Ricc. All I had to do was get out my Verniers and take a few photo. And, having posted that here it is now available for the next forum member who might have the same or related question...and that might well be myself when I've become vague about what I previously thought I knew, which is likely to happen increasingly...

Also useful on compatibility is the link to an AAW thread that I posted in the twin to this thread, repeated here...

https://www.aawforum.org/community/t...ceplates.5401/

I know that at least the information provided by the two Australian contributors to that thread is accurate.
    Last edited by Neil Strong; 06-10-2022 at 8:36 PM.
    Neil

I had actually emailed Vicmarc to get an answer from the horses mouth so to speak, this was their reply.

Hi Edward,

Yes there is a difference in hole spacing between the 2. Also the larger VM120.150 chuck Jaws use a M6 screw so the holes in the jaws are larger (6mm roughly) whereas the VM90/100 jaws use an M5 screw so their holes are 5mm roughly.
    Many thanks,
    Marco Verrecchia
    Manager
    Vicmarc Machinery
    52 Grice Street,
    Clontarf, QLD 4019
    Ph61-7) 3284 3103
    Fax: (61-7) 3283 4656
    Email:vicmarc@vicmarc.com

So, this was less than helpful, glad you could provide an answer for the OP
    I don't have both sizes to compare on hand.