Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Under water hydraulic hoses

You might consider finding some small screw-on zinc anodes and some stainless cable and hang them around your tee's- if the corrosion is due to stray current or other electrolysis related issue, the anodes will corrode first...
    anode.jpg
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Note that stainless steel in still water is not great at resisting corrosion. The chemistry needs wave action or water flow to work.
    Bill D

We replace a lot of hydraulic hoses on equipment here at the farm and sawmill. Invariably, they go bad when the outer jacket gets damaged, and allows moisture to seep into the wire reinforcement. Once the wire reinforcement rusts through, pressure will cause a blowout where the reinforcement is gone.

What I would suggest you do is install a layer of 2 or 3 ply heat shrink tubing the entire length of the hose before installing it under water. Some heat shrink has a heat activated adhesive inside and that would be even better. You can source it online from Del City and others.

The additional layer of protection should help protect the jacket and keep moisture away from the wires, thus prolonging the life of the hose.

I'd also verify that whatever inner lining is used with the hose is compatible with your special hydraulic fluid.

Best of success to you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott T Smith View Post
    We replace a lot of hydraulic hoses on equipment here at the farm and sawmill. Invariably, they go bad when the outer jacket gets damaged, and allows moisture to seep into the wire reinforcement. Once the wire reinforcement rusts through, pressure will cause a blowout where the reinforcement is gone.

What I would suggest you do is install a layer of 2 or 3 ply heat shrink tubing the entire length of the hose before installing it under water. Some heat shrink has a heat activated adhesive inside and that would be even better. You can source it online from Del City and others.

The additional layer of protection should help protect the jacket and keep moisture away from the wires, thus prolonging the life of the hose.

I'd also verify that whatever inner lining is used with the hose is compatible with your special hydraulic fluid.

Best of success to you.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Lift is already back in the water and in service. I wrapped the hoses with 3/4" corrugated split automotive electrical loom. It will at least keep the zebra mussels from munching on the hose. Several have told me that blisters on the exterior was likely from a combination of exposure of the outer jacket and failure of the inner liner. At the location of the blister that actually leaked I was surprised to find the steel reinforcement had not rusted.
    NOW you tell me...