Thread: Used Powermatic 14 inch Bandsaw

Used Powermatic 14 inch Bandsaw

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at picking up a new to me bandsaw. I came across a 14 inch Powermatic bandsaw listed locally for $1000 from its first owner whose selling after 3 years of ownership.

Everything looks to be in great shape. Does 1k seem like a fair price? It appears to be from my perspective, but still a solid chunk of change so I'd love to hear some other opinions.

Best,
    John

https://www.rockler.com/pwbs-14cs-14...nd-riser-block

Remove table before lifting so trunnions do not break.
    Bill D

+1 on removing the table before moving.

That bandsaw is top of the line for what it is: Taiwan made delta clone cast iron frame 14" bandsaw. If that is what you want and it's in perfect shape it is an OK deal depending on your market. But if you plan to do any resawing look for a steel frame bandsaw that will take a 1" blade, handle the tightness required, and be able to resaw a 12" wide board on end. And for $1000 I think you can find a good used one.

$1000 is about as good a price as you will find for a nearly new 14" saw. There are no serious re-saw machines that can handle 1" blades available in this day and age for $1000 unless you get REALLY lucky. I recently sold a nearly 20 year old Grizzly 14" machine for about the same as I paid for it. It was in excellent condition (looked and felt like new) but good, nearly new woodworking machines for a low price are still rare. Current inflation coupled with tariffs have made machinery a lot higher priced in new and used markets than was the case 5-7 years ago.

Man, $1000 for a used 14” saw sounds high. I’d rather save some money and locate a vintage delta for much less. Those usually sell for $300 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Man, $1000 for a used 14” saw sounds high. I’d rather save some money and locate a vintage delta for much less. Those usually sell for $300 or so.
    Let's see the dollar is worth about .30 cents these days so that's about right.

My gut says that's high for my area, but looks like you live in California so tool prices are likely higher.

Don't forget about the cost of fuel. Obviously that could matter depending on the distance.

I would seriously consider a 17" or 19" version if you have 220v. You will eventually want to resaw some wood. I recommend the Grizzly versions - G0513 and G0514X.

Bandsaws really are simple machines so I don't think you need to pay extra for the Powermatic name (unless you want to)

At least in central Texas, 220v machines tend to sit longer on CL than their smaller 110v versions. We currently have 3 Jet/Grizzly 17"/18"/20" used machines sitting. All in the $1500 range. A $1200 offer would likely be accepted.

Alternately, if you can wait 6 months, I bet even more like-new machines are going to hit the used market. Lots of pandemic wood workers are realizing they want to do other things with their time.