Thread: The Shop at 6 Months

Blog Entries

The Shop at 6 Months

Hoping this will help Jim and others who are on the build or re-org path. Hoping it doesn't add anxiety for Greg P. I wanted to post things I had planned out and executed during the new shop build that were winners and losers.

Having drawers and other storage right at the bench, clamps, cauls, and a wall hung tool cabinet, winner.

New Shop at 7 mo (2).jpg

Rolling tables, I've watched others use then for years. Definite winner even if you can only fit one.

New Shop at 7 mo (4).jpg

You can see some random items kind of snow-drift into open spaces. This is a loser behavioral issue and I am working toward dedicated places for items as they ebb and flow.

A sink to locate the sharpening stuff near, winner.

New Shop at 7 mo (6).jpg

A dedicated sharpening station is percolating in my head. For now a spare 36" metal shelf unit does duty. I have a sump/trap in the p-trap path that is easy to empty. The sink is on a french drain so I want to keep heavy and thick materials out of the drain system.

The swing away sheet goods rack. Even though I have about douible the space from the old shop this is still a winner. I only use the double doors for large items going in and out so the position shown is pretty much the default. It swings easily to an intermediate position for material handling.

New Shop at 7 mo (5).jpg

Dust collector housed outside the main shop, winner. This frees up 30+ square feet of floor space and cuts the noise.

New Shop at 7 mo (9).jpg

Clustered milling machines with central dust and power verticals, winner. This takes up so much less space than machines (and their associated DC, power, and infeed/outfeed requirements) spread out. Pegs on the walls behind the tablesaw and router table (right side of pic) for all the jigs and fixtures that go along with them, big winner. I used to keep them in a sort of corral against the wall. What a pain.

New Shop at 7 mo (7).jpg

The spray booth . . . . er . . .

New Shop at 7 mo (10).jpg

The area where the spray booth will go . Still a good idea. Once I use up some of this material I can dedicate this space as planned.

Parts and tool storage area.

New Shop at 7 mo (12).jpg

This means some items are a few steps away but, they are items that I tend to go get, use , and put back so, winner.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-06-2022 at 9:31 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I am on the build-reorganize path but you are making faster progress. I need to figure out the spray finish space too..

I have all my machines moved into the new shop, but am only just beginning to put up shelves and move in my lumber, plywood and metal. Got most of the lights up.

Last edited by andy bessette; 06-07-2022 at 1:07 PM.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Andy.....how many drawers do you have there and how are they organized?

Glenn, thanks for the update...things are clearly coming together for you! And I'm very much in agreement about having movable surfaces with the adder that I also have an affection for adjustable height, too.

Andy, that new space is really great! I can only imagine you're in heaven with being able to organize your workflow and so forth with that new shop. Congrats!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Andy.....how many drawers do you have there and how are they organized?
    How many drawers? Wow! A lot! More than a hundred, I'd say. There are rollaway cabinets with top chests dedicated to lathe and milling machine tooling, plus one with shared tooling. Under the main assembly bench/outfeed table for the rip table saw with dado table saw there are 2 more rollaway cabinets with hand tools, cordless drivers, air nailers, sanders, layout tools. Under the crosscut table saw/router table outfeed table are deep drawers for routers, Skilsaws, die grinders, etc., plus another rollaway cabinet with chisels, planes and misc. The welding cart has a small Kennedy rollaway cabinet built in for welding gear. The resaw bandsaw utilizes a small cabinetmakers bench as an offcut table; its drawers store planes and misc. The top chest at the radial arm saw stores wrenches and screwdrivers. A bench and top chest at the drill press cluster of course stores mostly drills, tap & die sets, hole saws, countersinks, etc.

My tube bending cart incorporates an ancient Kennedy rollaway cabinet that stores all my bending dies and associated tooling. Another rollaway cabinet with top chest stores router bits and misc. The 50-ton hydraulic press/metal brake incorporates a couple intermediate chests with more misc. At the drafting board are a top chest and rolling cabinet with drafting supplies and model making tools.

Glen, you did Extra good by building it when you did with the way construction costs have gone crazy.

Andy, your shop looks great.

Thanks Tom. We're still moving in.