Thread: Finally found a use for it

Finally found a use for it

Had a hunk of oak 2 1/4 x 4 x 36 with knots, twist and bow. Just couldn't throw it out. Today I made it into garden stakes. That felt good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Had a hunk of oak 2 1/4 x 4 x 36 with knots, twist and bow. Just couldn't throw it out. Today I made it into garden stakes. That felt good.
    Can’t have too many garden stakes!

White oak should be good. My favorite is osage orange bit I don’t get the logs too often. Black locust is my next choice and it grows everywhere here (and grows fast!)

The Giant sequoia trees are only good for grape stakes. That is why they were not logged off while coast redwood is almost all second growth or tied up in park land. The giant sequoia splinter into stakes when felled. You can try dropping a 2x4 300 feet and see what happens.
    Bill D

At age 63 I am coming to realize I do not have to save stuff for latter. Sure it is too good to use for something simple like stakes but will I really use it in the next ten years?
    Bill D.

Well, Bill, I'm 72+ and I made a whole storage unit for my family room and some nice cabinets to replace some ugly shelves. My motivation in part was to recycle some wood from the older storage unit and to put to use some expensive wood(wenge and padauk). My fear was that the wood that I bought 30+ years ago was going to tossed out by my wife and children when they started to rummage through my wood pile. It's amazing how much the wood can appreciate in value if you wait a few decades.