Thread: Just got a Dewalt RAS

Just got a Dewalt RAS

For free!! I hear these are the ones to have and I'm excited to get it cleaned up and running. Make sure the blade is correct/negative rake for the saw as well.

I don't generally read the power tool section but I really should since I have quite a few. Anyway, just wanted to get some input on this beast.RAS.jpg20220606_124438.jpg

Good find. Should be a fun project. Here is a link I ran across about Dewalt RAS

http://www.woodcentral.com/bparticles/dewaltrebuild.pdf

Nice saw and an even nicer price. You even scored the anti-kickback arm, essential if you’re ever going to use it for ripping and very often MIA. I assume it’s the 8” 1/2hp, although the MMB came in a 9” 1hp version as well. I suggest you join delphiforums.com and check out the dedicated Dewalt RAS user group. Lots of very knowledgeable folks and a great resource. Best of luck with the saw - you’re going to like it.

Stephen

Thanks, yes I joined that group. Very informative and helpful group. I'll have to take another look at the motor, I hope it's the 1HP version.

congrats!! If i recall correctly, the MMB's may have had a cast iron base. (Mobile Miter Box??) If so would love to see pics of that. Good luck.
    earl

I think the base on mine is channel iron.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yep, looks like the base of my GWI, except size & color. Still a sweet machine.
    earl

Nice saw, that will last you a lifetime. I had one and my only reason for going to a newer model (7790) was that the motor is a bit underpowered.

That was years ago, but a buddy recently told me he replaced the motor in his older 14" DeWalt long arm with a complete motor and bracket (yoke) from the newer style with 3+ HP. He said it dropped right in. No idea if that applies to yours....just found it interesting.

For the car guys..guess that makes his a 'restomod'.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Well, now that I have it, I'm looking for it's big brother and considering loosing the TS that takes up far too much space in my shop.