Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Jointer grease suggestions (20" Kölle)

Joe, thanks for the history on the companies and parts. You are a wealth of knowledge.

Greg, appreciate the input.

Brian, I may just do that in the fall. I've got a few projects I want to complete then I may do an overhaul. Are you talking about re-packing the guides on the BS or the bearings on the cutterhead? As an aside, when I set the jointer up originally, I didn't have a machinist level so I got the beds coplanar but I never truly leveled it. Considering doing that as well when it comes time to pull the cutterhead. I'm sure many believe that's overkill and maybe there is minimal value.

It's difficult for me to tell if the planer is being noisy due to an issue or if it's just typical planer noises at this size. I may post a video later.

And agreed re: the Japanese saws. The petty work saws still fetch a healthy price, add in crate/shipping fees and many possible issues along the way...

If you're going to tear a machine apart don't clean and repack the bearings, replace them. You already have them out why not finish the job, looking at the pictures you posted you can use SKF bearings and the cost won't be prohibitive.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation