Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody Totaled a Car and Got Close to Replacement $ back from Insurance?

I've had USAA for 53 years. In the early days, it was a great insurance company. Recently, not so much. When I first joined them, they only took military officers. Then they opened to all military. Now, they take just about anyone.

I realize they want to grow, but the quality of their customer service has not kept up with their growth.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm McLeod View Post
    Reading thru this there seems to be a fairly strong consensus about the nature of insurance companies, so here's a bit more...

I was rear-ended on an interstate in Sept. '21 - - I was at ~10mph, with walls or stopped traffic on each side, the lovely lady behind me was on cruise-control at 75mph ('failure to control sleep' per the TX DPS). Totaled my car (and the other one too). She was a bloody mess, and I was in Lala-land for a few minutes. DPS, Fire, EMS, ERs, .. the whole gang was there. She had Allstate Insurance for her car. I had Allstate Insurance on my home; they'll want to take care of a customer. Right? ....So we'll let Allstate Insurance handle this. Rrrriiiiiight!

They offered a fairly quick and (IMHO) a fair settlement on my car - mostly to get me out a rental. Bravo! But they have now dragged the medical/lost time/etc settlement out for 9mo. The medical claims went to collection, so I finally paid them myself!! This has never been an issue with the $$ amount - just their sloth.
    Being in an accident with someone with the same brand insurance is pretty much a worst-case scenario: "your" insurance company is basically negotiating with itself for any claim or settlement. All things considered, I'd rather be hit by an uninsured driver.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I've had USAA for 53 years. In the early days, it was a great insurance company. Recently, not so much. When I first joined them, they only took military officers. Then they opened to all military. Now, they take just about anyone.
    For some very low value of "anyone": it's still just active military, veterans, and their spouses/children. I've never had USAA insurance, but I have a membership through my dad. They helped quite a bit with some logistics when my mom died, since all of her banking was also done through them.
    https://communities.usaa.com/t5/Mone...rs/ba-p/176724
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post

I realize they want to grow, but the quality of their customer service has not kept up with their growth.

Mike
    Similarly, Bad Dad was the officer - and qualifier for my coverage via USAA CIC ('Civilian Insurance Co.' - IIRC).
    USAA is still only officers and retirees (again, IIRC); not sure about enlisted personnel?
    The CIC 'arm' covers former dependents - I know it extends to children & grandchildren, but not sure how far they will extend that relationship? (Never asked; not that old.)
    I cannot report the same service deficit; I hope it was just that you caught them on a bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Being in an accident with someone with the same brand insurance is pretty much a worst-case scenario: "your" insurance company is basically negotiating with itself for any claim or settlement. All things considered, I'd rather be hit by an uninsured driver.
    Only my homeowner's WAS Allstate; my auto policy has always been USAA CIC - - and I will never make the mistake of 'protecting' them from having to deal with an accident that was somebody else's fault.

And I've had to type 'A!!$#%@^' 5 times ... I need to take a shower. Now.

USAA is still only officers and retirees (again, IIRC); not sure about enlisted personnel?
    The CIC 'arm' covers former dependents - I know it extends to children & grandchildren, but not sure how far they will extend that relationship? (Never asked; not that old.)
    Enlisted (active or with honorable discharge) yes, spouse/children yes, grandchildren no.
    ('CIC' is Casualty Insurance Company, BTW.)
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 06-08-2022 at 5:45 PM.

From the USAA website:

Generally, USAA membership is open to active, retired, and separated veterans with a discharge type of “Honorable” and “General Under Honorable Conditions” from the U.S. military and their eligible family members. Here is what you need to know about USAA eligibility for family members.

USAA Membership Eligibility for Family Members - USAA Community - 176724

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Enlisted (active or with honorable discharge) yes, spouse/children yes, grandchildren no.
    ('CIC' is Casualty Insurance Company, BTW.)
    Thanks for the clarifications.

ETA - quick search says that since my father and I have USAA policies, they will cover my children…..might have to call HQ and confirm when time arrives for them to ‘fly solo’.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 06-08-2022 at 10:19 PM.

Thanks for the clarifications.

ETA - quick search says that since my father and I have USAA policies, they will cover my children…..might have to call HQ and confirm when time arrives for them to ‘fly solo’.
    Can't hurt to ask, but that's not how I read it. If so, the membership could be "inherited" in perpetuity, as long as no one breaks the chain.
    Last edited by Lee DeRaud; 06-08-2022 at 11:59 PM.

Can't hurt to ask, but that's not how I read it. If so, the membership could be "inherited" in perpetuity, as long as no one breaks the chain.
    Call to USAA confirms that so long as I maintain my coverage thru USAA, my children are eligible as well.

Thanks for your replies.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

I was driving a 1998 Outback in December 2008 when a pickup ran a stop sign and hit the front corner, totaling the car. Because of the holidays it took about a month for his insurance company to pay out, but in the end they gave us enough to buy a 2004 Outback with about the same miles on it (~120k or so). Because we don't drive a lot and live in a rust haven it's better to have a newer car with higher mileage than an older one with lower, usually.

Volvo, 2004, C70, Black with Saddle interior March 2016, 73k miles. I was forced to the right by a car coming from the left lane into my lane. In the right lane was a heavy equipment trailer made of 1/2 inch steel plate. Corner of trailer contacted right fender, wheel and door. Front right wheel, fender, and passenger door damaged. Door was peeled back 12 inches, alloy wheel was shaved about 1/4th of an inch. Insurance company totaled it. Estimate to restore was $4700. Insurance company said they would give me $6700. When I ask them how much it would be to buy it back, they said they would take $500 and write me a check for $6200. I took the car and check, found a body shop, and they made it new again for $3900. After restoration, Insurance company would not cover collision on it, saying they already paid for the car once, they won't pay for it again. Because it was not my daily driver, I did not think much about it, but concerned me if I got into a similar situation. I found a classic car insurance company that would insure it for full coverage and if the car got totaled, they would write a check for $4000. Better than nothing, so I insured with them.

In Arizona, when an insurance company totals a vehicle, the title immediately goes to salvage status. Upon restoring and State inspecting proper restore, title goes to salvage/restore status. Most insurance companies will not allow collision coverage on a salvage/restore vehicle. Look for a classic car insurance company. They deal with classic car restores all the time and you will probably get a lower insurance bill than prior totaling and you get to provide what the cars value is to you. My Volvo got full coverage at $150 per 6 mo less than before total, and I got to pick a fair market value for the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    With car prices so high, I'm concerned. I'm getting insurance quotes soon and may drop my collision coverage.
    Thanks
    I did, way back in '74 when a kid in a Vega smashed the back of my 1971 Pinto. It cost me $300 to run the car for 3 years due to the gas shortage making the car quite valuable.

Both our vehicles are 10 years old. A 2010 Taurus, and my 2010 Ranger pickup. We discussed your question with our insurance agent and decided to keep the comprehensive coverage due to the condition of both vehicles.

Blog Entries
    At least one of the auto insurance companies is advertising replacement value:

Farmers® Policy Perks.png

There are other companies with similar collision policies, mostly for new cars or cars less than one year old.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)