Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ex-Naval Aviators; Top Gun Maverick critique?

Ex-Naval Aviators; Top Gun Maverick critique?

I’m fairly sure that we have some ex-US naval aviators
    here; I don’t know how many of you have seen the new Top Gun flick; I’ve heard it’s good but haven’t seen it myself.
    What were your thoughts?
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

I did read that a navy pilot 59 years old with 40 years of flying would be bounced out decades ago for not advancing in rank beyond captain. Of course russia is accepting recruits to age 65 now. So it varies by country and situation.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    I did read that a navy pilot 59 years old with 40 years of flying would be bounced out decades ago for not advancing in rank beyond captain.
    The Navy doesn't have many ranks above Captain. After Captain comes Rear Admiral. Rear Admirals probably do not fly.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 06-06-2022 at 5:16 PM. Reason: added Navy
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

When I was in the army, if an army captain called a navy facility and said, "This is Captain Smith" they would say "Is that an Army Captain, or a Navy Captain?"

Big difference.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

There is a retired F14 pilot that lives in one of the lake houses I built in the late '80's. He drives through our place to get to it, and has lived here for maybe 30 years, during his second career as a pilot for Southwest. He's retired from SW now too, but he walks on our road every day, so today I waved him over when I was working in the shop as he walked past right after lunch.

I told him about this question on a woodworking forum, and he laughed. He said he hadn't seen the second movie yet, but thought the first one was "pretty cool". He said they did some crazy ___ in training, but if there was any shooting to do, it had better be something out of sight. He said their main job, if there was a fight, was to make your delivery, and get the hell back home.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 06-06-2022 at 4:44 PM.

Navy captain is equal to army colonel
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

My error his rank is lieutenant not captain.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D
    Yeah, no way a Navy lieutenant would be allowed to remain in the service for 40 years. He'd have been bounced before 20. In all of the services, it's up (in rank) or out. If you're not getting promoted, there's something wrong with you and the service doesn't want you.

Mike

[A Navy lieutenant is equivalent to an army captain (ensign, lieutenant JG, then lieutenant). In the army you'd have to make major (at a minimum) to stay in for 20.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 06-06-2022 at 5:51 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D
    The 'Maverick' character was indeed a captain. He was a lieutenant in the first movie, IIRC.

There was a lot of handwaving about him remaining (1) in the Navy and (2) flying well past his use-by date...presumably the Val Kilmer 'Icepick' character was pulling strings for him. I have my doubts about that sort of thing, short of an act of Congress: Admiral Rickover stayed in the Navy for 64 years, no one else comes close.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Just to be clear, I loved it as a movie, but...

Am I the only one who thinks they made the mission a LOT harder than it needed to be?

I'm not sure what country it's supposed to take place in (Iran maybe?), but it's a place where you can park a carrier group off-shore and launch dozens of cruise missiles at without starting a full-on war. Seems like that leaves a whole bunch of brute-force options on the table, since stealth and deniability apparently weren't on the requirements list. Like nobody asked, "Hey, can we spare some of those Tomahawks to take out the SAM sites?"

(I'm also wondering why a country with a bunch of woo-woo "fifth-generation" fighters keeps a F14 fueled and armed on the ready line...)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    (I'm also wondering why a country with a bunch of woo-woo "fifth-generation" fighters keeps a F14 fueled and armed on the ready line...)
    That's a good catch. Just Hollywood licence, I guess. The Navy retired the F14 in about 2006 IIRC.
    I havent seen the movie yet. Looking forwward to it.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    That's a good catch. Just Hollywood licence, I guess. The Navy retired the F14 in about 2006 IIRC.
    That's why I mentioned Iran: they actually have about 40 remaining of those exported to the Shah's regime in 1976-77. No clue how many are actually operational, since the avionics are, shall we say, "vintage", with no spares available.
    (It could have been worse, they also still have about 60 F4s.)

Apple Bees restaurant has a deal, spend $25 and get one free ticket to the movies. My wife and I spent $55 for two meals and a extra one to take home. i will invite my friend to to see the movie with me for his 83rd birthday this week.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    That's why I mentioned Iran: they actually have about 40 remaining of those exported to the Shah's regime in 1976-77. No clue how many are actually operational, since the avionics are, shall we say, "vintage", with no spares available.
    (It could have been worse, they also still have about 60 F4s.)
    Russia has only one aircraft carrier that is so bad it has a tugboat that travels with it. You can't do that with planes.
    Bill D.

I loved the 1st and can't wait to see this one, well Yea I'm waiting a little till the crowds dye down a tad
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander