Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone used Renaissance Wax on their cast iron

Has anyone used Renaissance Wax on their cast iron

Well I finally got my tools out of storage yesterday and some of the cast iron has a bit of light rust on it. Once I clean it off, I normally use Johnstone Paste Wax, but I have not run across it yet (still packed in a box somewhere). I did find my Renaissance wax. I checked and it has no silicone in it, but am not sure if it would be ok for my equipment. Anyone have experience with it ?

Doug

I use it without issue

Based on the cost of Renaissance Wax I save it for projects. Plain ole Johnson's Wax goes on machinery. I probably bought my can of Johnson's in the late 70s

Blog Entries
    Most Walmart stores carry it. You can also order it from Amazon.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

It has to be one of the most inert waxes there is.

I can’t imagine that you use enough wax on the saw that the cost of the wax material is significant. The cost of time to find or even buy more Johnson’s Paste Wax should make this an easy decision.

I think low humidity in the shop should simplify the rust problem going forward. I live in a temperate rain forest and happily pay for the electricity for a dehumidifier to make the interior climate as dry as Arizona.

Thanks for the info. Unless I come across my Johnson’s, I will go ahead and use the Renaissance wax. : )
    Last edited by Doug Colombo; 06-05-2022 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Colombo View Post
    Thanks for the info. Unless I come across my Johnson’s, I will go ahead and use the Renaissance wax. : )
    I have been using it for at least 25 yrs, it is superior to regular ol’ paste wax and lasts forever. It will actually get better overtime if you just reapply over the previous without cleaning it with solvents

Sounded like OP has johnson's in a storage box and wondering if they need to spend the time to dig it out.

I tend to apply the johnson's pretty liberally; I'd be reluctant to use the renaissance in the same way.
    Woodnet had a recent series on the discontinuation of Johnson's past wax.
    (One recommendation there to use Lundmark)

Matt

Ouch! No idea how Johnson's got expensive from 45 years ago. LOL I'll have to see if the price is still on the can. https://www.amazon.com/SC-Johnson-Pa.../dp/B0000DIWIM

I picked up a can today for $6 from a hardware store in the scary part of town. Now that it isn't made any more it was the only place I could find it for under $25.00.

What are other good alternatives? Any automotive waxes? I use Renaissance on some pieces, but definitely not cheap.

Personally I use CRC-30 and not wax on my machine tops, but I do use Johnsons Paste wax for a few other things. My can has to be at least 10 years old.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Holy cow, $29 for a can of Johnsons paste wax?? I think I have been using the same can since I started woodworking about 40 years ago. Still have a little left, maybe it will make it til I croak.... ha ha Randy PS of course living in dry central Calif helps.
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Interloper here - I 've been using Briwax on the iron and happy with it. Touted as silicone free.
    Not sure about the current pricing, but name an item and we can roll all day on the absurdity of the current cost.
    Nothing seems immune to the 8% inflation causing everything to go up 50-300% at this point in time.

jeff

I keep a can of Renaissance wax sitting around and whenever I need something mindless to do I put another coat on anything shiny. After 20 coats over the years it seems to have provided adequate protection.