Thread: NJ Shop Build - Machine Shop

NJ Shop Build - Machine Shop

The new addition will be primarily for bench work and assembly. Another important goal was to get "out" from the feeling of being in the basement.

For the machines, I relocated them adjacent to the new addition. Everything is in a bit of disarray now as construction is going on; but here are some pics of the general layout.

The two major changes (other the getting all the unneeded stuff out) will be the addition of a slider and a CNC. I am planning on the CNC to be where the work bench is currently, and the slider will be placed across from the jointer / planer in line with sawhorses.

pic 3.jpgpic.jpgpic4.jpg

Sal, you know how to dream bigger than most people. This is going to be an awesome workspace.

Yea, impressive space for sure!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Thomas, Jim

I've been working at the shop and adding to it since around '08. I will say though that I have a long way to go before having the shops I see posted here!
    Thanks,
    Sal

Hi Sal
    Installing a ceiling in my basement shop made a big difference in the 'feel' of the space. Of course it also improved the lighting.

I was able to do it by giving up only 1/4" of head room, very important in a shop with only 96 3/4" to start with. Lights are recessed into the joist space.

NE.jpg
    Last edited by Tom Bender; 06-09-2022 at 7:55 AM.

I agree with Tom with the adder that something "acoustic" is the bee's knees when it comes to dramatically changing the shop environment in a noticeable way. I was totally amazed by this in my previous shop when I did that deed and am actively working on various ways to accomplish a similar thing with my new shop build, although it's going to be harder to pull off.
    --

Tom, from your pic, the ceiling helps quite a bit at providing a brighter feel. What did you use to limit impact to a 1/4"? Seems like you have panels installed between joists?

thanks,
    Sal
    Thanks,
    Sal

Thanks, Jim. Hard for me to envision how the acoustics change; but clearly it made a positive impression on you. Did you also have insulation above the ceiling which contributed to the better acoustics?
    Thanks,
    Sal

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Cangialosi View Post
    Thanks, Jim. Hard for me to envision how the acoustics change; but clearly it made a positive impression on you. Did you also have insulation above the ceiling which contributed to the better acoustics?
    There was R30 fiberglass put between the joists before the acoustic tile went in, and that benefited in reducing "rumble" for sure. But the acoustic ceiling tiles dealt with the mids and highs significantly. With no machines running, it was like standing in a recording studio...I could "feel" it with my ears. Machinery noise was significantly abated and the running cyclone in the closet further faded into the background. Most noise in the shop at that point was "direct sound" while actually using a noise maker rather than being ambiently noisy. I'm really feeling challenged with this for the new shop building as it will be a larger, taller space.

With your shop actually under your home, doing the insulation and some kind of "soft surface" ceiling will likely make for a happy coexistence with other living creatures...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Cangialosi View Post
    Tom, from your pic, the ceiling helps quite a bit at providing a brighter feel. What did you use to limit impact to a 1/4"? Seems like you have panels installed between joists?

thanks,
    Sal
    I installed wood slats 1/4" x 2 1/2" to the bottom of the floor joists and cut ceiling tiles to fit above them.

Armstrong makes a cheap tile from yellow fiberglass with a plastic skin that can be bent in half and snapped into place. No metal tees used. The joints between tiles don't look so perfect but good enough.

First I had to raise the outlets the lights etc are plugged into and some other prep.

I made the slats by resawing aspen 1 x 3 material. (pine with knots would have been a bear to machine and paint) Rounded over the edges prior to resawing. Screwed the slats to the joists.

Thanks much, Tom for the detailed explanation. It will be helpful as I address this after the build