Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Land plane

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Thank you for your concern. However, it was not a problem.

It's not a habit with us, it was necessary for some passes around the arena to clear a tall fence. Without raising the bucket she couldn't get close to the outside of the curve. Taking the bucket off would help some but the FEL arms and quick connect could still hit the fence and I'm not about to remove the entire FEL for a few passes around the flat dirt. BTW, I use the bucket to take both land plane to the site behind the barn with the yard box mounted on the 3pt hitch.

The tractor is not going to roll over on flat ground, driving slow, no surprise humps or holes in the ground, no load in the bucket. This might be a problem with a very light tractor and heavy bucket or working on a slope. Like many things, if you are not comfortable with the equipment and the issues don't do it.

The visibility for this use is fine with the bucket down. I find myself raising the bucket on the tracked skid steer/loader more for visibility. However that thing is quite heavy with a low CG, rated to lift a full bucket for loading into a dump truck. (I wouldn't do that on a slope either.)

I typically remove the bucket when working a hay field or spreading seed/lime/fertilizer. Otherwise the bucket or the forks stay on the tractor. When I work on a slope the bucket hugs the ground.

JKJ
    Everyone has their own method of work but the only time I have the bucket that high is if I need to empty it into a container or large pile.
    I have never seen any professional equipment operator drive any further than absolutely necessary with the loader, forks, bucket or whatever, raised and looking under it regardless of the terrain, size of machine etc.

It's a dangerous habit and should be discouraged.
    That my opinion, use your equipment how you want, just be careful.

Edward, I don't disagree, but I will also tell you that my 10 years of association with equine activities at multiple facilities proved that it's an unfortunate reality for farm owners who need to maintain the surface of their arenas while they are working that pass right at the edge of the fence. Most folks don't run with the FEL elevated other than right in the place they must to clear said fence in a corner. Very few have dedicated machines to pull the surface conditioning tools, but those that do often use 4 wheel utility vehicles instead of tractors. Personally, I keep my FEL as low as the situation permits for the obvious safety reasons.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would worry about my bucket being up if it was full of something heavy. Otherwise, not a worry. It's not a small tractor though, and has 75 gallons of fluid in each rear tire, plus wheel weights. I do keep it down if I'm on much of a side hill, and that's not going to be on any road. Mine does stay up when dragging the riding rings.

We're lucky we don't have any road to keep up. We have a state road that runs a little over a mile through the middle of our place that serves as our "driveway". They've paved it five times since we've been here, so it's in great shape. They keep the sides of it cut almost enough to suit me.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 06-06-2022 at 5:12 PM.