Thread: Morning breakfast berries

Morning breakfast berries

Yesterday I noticed a few blueberries on one bush were starting to get ripe. Checked this morning and they were all gone, birds found them. So I picked the ripe ones from the next bush. First of the year. Also stopped by the garden and grabbed a few strawberries and picked some raspberries while I was out. I like this time of year.

berries_this_morning.jpg

I have rows of raspberries in five places. Those in one spot are not doing well so they will get transplanted this fall to a spot with more sun.

Some of the figs are about to get ripe.
    Picked the cherries, some went in the freezer, saved enough out for an excellent pie.

JKJ

Our neighbor gave us a gallon on fresh blueberries last week. They have several large farms down here that have started growing large plots/groves of berries. They are very good. I tried some in a salad last night. I think I'm on to something here. Good for you too. Now all the other stuff I added to the salad may not be!
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Blog Entries
    I hope there is a Jersey Cow close by.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Blog Entries
    Our blueberries are the size of very small peas and just as green. Our strawberries are just blooming,and cherries are )) buck shot size and pea green.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Our blueberries are the size of very small peas and just as green. Our strawberries are just blooming,and cherries are )) buck shot size and pea green.
    Season is a bit earlier here! My brother in Maryville Ohio thinks we have about two more months of growing season. A couple of weeks ago I picked a gallon or so of cherries from our one cherry tree - gotta be quick as the birds were in the tree while I was. Two days later there was not one cherry left!
    We've been getting strawberries for a few weeks now. The birds like them too so I get up pretty early to beat them. Wild black raspberries are ripe now and wild reds are not far. The cultivated thornless blackberries have flowered and starting berries now.

My new favorite breakfast is yogurt with fresh berries and a bit of granola.

Peaches are on their way as are apples and pears. For some reason there are not many pears this year from any of our trees.

JKJ

Sounds like you've got your hands even more full than ever. Having so many choices is a great problem to have!

We've been giving away lots of rhubarb. My wife made a strawberry rhubarb (both from our garden) pie with ginger cumb topping. It is delicious! I let her know it would be okay if she wants to make it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Strauss View Post
    We've been giving away lots of rhubarb….
    Oh, boy! Rhubarb pie is a favorite, plus rhubarb bars, and just simple cooked rhubarb.

We’ve been trying to reestablish our rhubarb for three years now, lost all but one plant this winter from some critter digging fown and eating the roots. And no one has plants for sale! The plant stores always say they are sold out the day they get a shipment. One small plant doesn’t make for much rhubarb!

Too bad we couldn't visit later in the year so we could have brought you two some rhubarb.

Maybe we can ship you some starts next spring.

Anybody ever do anything with serviceberries? My tree has a good crop this year. I've always left them for the birds but wondered if they are worth picking.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Anybody ever do anything with serviceberries? My tree has a good crop this year. I've always left them for the birds but wondered if they are worth picking.
    Sir Google says yes, good for pies, jams, juice, can be used anywhere you might use blueberries. Tree and bush, some varieties are more desirable. I haven’t seen any around here.

I didn’t know you could also eat hackberries until you got me curious. We have many hundreds of hackberry trees from saplings to over 3’ trunk diameter. Would be hard to pick berries from that tree!

JKJ